Jestersix

Electrical wiring for portable inverter generator - will this work or i'm playing russian roulette?

newfly

Supporting Member
I finally bought a portable 2500w inverter gen. I'm looking for a "easy" way to run the wire from the gen to the fish tank+fridge. The right way to do it is via a transfer switch but it can be $$. I got a quote for $1200 + permit fees. Given that this only for power outage, which is not very often, i am thinking of a alternative solution.

Running an extension cord is the most trivial and i suspect most ppl do. One idea i'm exploring is like the drawing below.

The total load <15amp. Is this a fire hazard? Of course the generator is only plug in to the outdoor plug as-needed and not a permanent install.

I am probably comfortable doing this wiring on my own.

1710273325958.png

I finally bought a portable 2500w inverter gen. I'm looking for a "easy" way to run the wire from the gen to the fish tank+fridge. The right way to do it is via a transfer switch but it can be $$. I got a quote for $1200 + permit fees. Given that this only for power outage, which is not very often, i am thinking of a alternative solution.

Running an extension cord is the most trivial and i suspect most ppl do. One idea i'm exploring is like the drawing below.

The total load <15amp. Is this a fire hazard? Of course the generator is only plug in to the outdoor plug as-needed and not a permanent install.

I am probably comfortable doing this wiring on my own.

View attachment 53769
Disregard the price on that picture is just for refrence.

You could go to home depot and get a (or just get a small roll outdoor coil of electrcal wire) extensnion cord orange or black heavy duty one could also work of the desiered length. And get you a outlet box shown like in picture not to hard to wire that inside the box. If you wanna get a little more fancy you can get a all weater box for outside and mount that on the outside location semi permanent.

And just put generation near where outlet is outside and short cord to plug into outlet. You can use a good quality surge protector on the box in the house for added saftey and plug your tank and fridge gear into it.

It's also possible to actually put the inside box in a wall like any other outlet but than it just gets complicated.

I'm no electriction but, I've messed with stuff like this a few times. So I can give more specific information if you wanna share pictures of where your planning to put this.

There are also inline breakers you can add for added safety but price starts going up to where it becomes easier/ more practical to just do a extenstion cord.

Boxes would be legit and less expensive. Could even go with gfi outlets in the box.

If at all possible I wouldn't store your generator outside to the elements until you actually need it. Maybe garage or shed or something unless its inclosed in box or something to protect it. No to mention people with sticky hands.

Your picture is spot on though and easily doable, I see your also in santa clara, I'd even be willing to give you a hand with doing if you want.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_133257_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_133257_Google.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Disregard the price on that picture is just for refrence.

You could go to home depot and get a (or just get a small roll outdoor coil of electrcal wire) extensnion cord orange or black heavy duty one could also work of the desiered length. And get you a outlet box shown like in picture not to hard to wire that inside the box. If you wanna get a little more fancy you can get a all weater box for outside and mount that on the outside location semi permanent.

And just put generation near where outlet is outside and short cord to plug into outlet. You can use a good quality surge protector on the box in the house for added saftey and plug your tank and fridge gear into it.

It's also possible to actually put the inside box in a wall like any other outlet but than it just gets complicated.

I'm no electriction but, I've messed with stuff like this a few times. So I can give more specific information if you wanna share pictures of where your planning to put this.

There are also inline breakers you can add for added safety but price starts going up to where it becomes easier/ more practical to just do a extenstion cord.

Boxes would be legit and less expensive. Could even go with gfi outlets in the box.

If at all possible I wouldn't store your generator outside to the elements until you actually need it. Maybe garage or shed or something unless its inclosed in box or something to protect it. No to mention people with sticky hands.
Great idea. Where can i get the outlet box like the picture? Google Home depot website, and cant; find something similiar.

Great idea. Where can i get the outlet box like the picture? Google Home depot website, and cant; find something similiar.
Just in the electrical department, that is one thats already put together hence higher price it showed lol. I would say just to pick out electrical boxes in store so many options to choose from. I just updated last post to say I see your also in santa clara, I'd definitely be willing to give you a hand with it if you want.

I will also mention that just regular heavy duty extension cord would serve same roll. If you think about it, you would Basically be installing a more semi permanent type of extension cord of sorts. The boxes would will just Look better, and not have a cord running through middle of the house. I can't see any difference in actual terms of performance or safety if you get properly rated surge protectors either way.

I will also mention that just regular heavy duty extension cord would serve same roll. If you think about it, you would Basically be installing a more semi permanent type of extension cord of sorts. The boxes would will just Look better, and not have a cord running through middle of the house. I can't see any difference in actual terms of performance or safety if you get properly rated surge protectors either way.
Yes i am aware of this, ie more or less an extension cord. The motivation is not to have wire running in the middle of the house.

I am assuming I don’t need a permit for this glorified extension cord ?

View attachment 53769

Are you talking about wiring the generator into the wall using a cable like this?

1710288359931.png

I hope I am misunderstanding you because this is not only a bad idea for half a dozen safety reasons for you, but also illegal as it can pump amperage back into the grid while the grid is assumed down.

Many reasons they don't sell these at the hardware store.

The right way to do this is with extension cords and power strips.

Also, no need for lights when there is a power outage, just run the main pump at its lowest setting and you'll keep everything alive for hours. If longer, then add temperature control.

Are you talking about wiring the generator into the wall using a cable like this?

View attachment 53780

I hope I am misunderstanding you because this is not only a bad idea for half a dozen safety reasons for you, but also illegal as it can pump amperage back into the grid while the grid is assumed down.

Also, no need for lights when there is a power outage, just run the main pump at its lowest setting and you'll keep everything alive for hours. If longer, then add temperature control.
No no no. It’s for connecting the generator to the tank without running wire across the living room and leaving the door open.

View attachment 53780

No way!!!

Not that at all very dangerous.

The picture is one like I have. The one in the picture the other end is a male end.(Ignore the wire showing under orange insulator this thing is many years old and not hooked on a wall)

What he's talking about would be two boxes both female sides semi permanent placed. One inside the house like my picture here that he can plug his tank and fridge into. The other end would also be a box but a more weather proof one that would be outside near were generator will be located.

The outside outside weather proof outlet box can have a male adapter wired into the back of the box to go to the generator.

So no live male to male type wires that you could risk touching and zap. Take his first picture and add inside the box a wire connected to a male adapter on the other end for generator. (In a house that wire would be like the other end of the outlet wire that feeds to another outlet or back to breaker box - in his case male adapter to his generator. )

Attachments

• 20240312_172821.jpg
    20240312_172821.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 18
my initial concern is the following. I’m basically chaining together 2 extension cord

1. Generator to a outdoor receptacle
2. Outdoor receptacle to indoor receptacle
3. Tank will be plug into the generator only indoor receptacle

So a dedicated in wall circuit for just the generator?

Yes, I believe thats what he's after. A fancy surge protector/extension cord Basically that doesn't haven't be pushed through a window or open door. Something that looks nice and is always there for if the need arises.

Nothing connected to the actual house grid either.

This doesn't seem that crazy, but the main thing I try and think about in these situations is if something goes wrong, and you get a fire, you're hosed if there's any plausible way the insurance company can blame it on unpermitted, not to code, work.

It might not even be the generator part goes awry, it could just be the outlet goes bad for unrelated reasons, or the light you use has a completely unrelated issue with its plug.

Likely to happen? Hopefully not. Downsides of something going wrong, high.

The other justification I usually have for doing it to code is future resale. If you have a daisy chained outlet connected to something outside with a generator setups, I'd imagine you'd need to either disclose that when selling or get it undone (which also might have to be permitted or disclosed).

Anyway, not a crazy idea, but noting other trade offs.

This doesn't seem that crazy, but the main thing I try and think about in these situations is if something goes wrong, and you get a fire, you're hosed if there's any plausible way the insurance company can blame it on unpermitted, not to code, work.

It might not even be the generator part goes awry, it could just be the outlet goes bad for unrelated reasons, or the light you use has a completely unrelated issue with its plug.

Likely to happen? Hopefully not. Downsides of something going wrong, high.

The other justification I usually have for doing it to code is future resale. If you have a daisy chained outlet connected to something outside with a generator setups, I'd imagine you'd need to either disclose that when selling or get it undone (which also might have to be permitted or disclosed).

Anyway, not a crazy idea, but noting other trade offs.
Vald concerns. Yet I'm no expert. I have a hard time seeing this even remotely being a code or permit type thing. He can even do the exact same thing with with power strips and a long extension cord. He's just looking to do it in a more aesthetically pleasing way. Not opening any walls, cutting anything. Probably only a few screws to hold boxes in place.

Wonder if there is someone who would know if this is a code/permit type thing or not.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is any permanent electrical setup, including running extension cords permanently such as people snaking them through a garage, requires being up to code and a permit. Do most people do that? Doubtful.

In this case it seems like the idea is install outlets plus run wires plus blah blah blah.

I'd be less concerned with this than an EV charger being unpermitted (my understanding is those are known fire hazards), but noting because it's something I'd consider when making the trade off.

Back