Reef nutrition

Elegance Coral

Just purchased this guy from aquatic collection for a pretty good deal, can't wait for him to open up more. The skeleton to me kind of looks like a wall hammer skeleton, how do you go about fragging these guys?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 296
So I was reading that stubby tentacles can be a sign of impending doom, elegance coral syndrome, which might be caused by pathogens, too much heat, or too much light. My temp stays pretty consistently around 78, and my lights are 165w Mars Aqua 3w LEDs, I keep blue and whites at %100, light is 8 3/4 inch off water, and the tip of the elegance is 11 1/4 away from the surface of the water. The side of the coral facing the inner part of the tank almost lines up with the edge of my light, so it is in moderately direct light. I might move it to lower light soon. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is inflated with no skeleton showing.

If it's shrinking and pulling away from the skeleton then I would worry.

It could just be acclimating to your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Challenge accepted! Couldn't let you guys have all the fun with an Elegance Coral. ;)

Picked up an Australian Pink Tipped Elegance from Aquatic Collection today (well technically yesterday). Opened up nicely after a few hours.

Day_0128_20170110_7289.jpg

Day_0128_20170110_7305.jpg

Taken under Radion XR15w Pro G4 @ 20,000K lighting

Last edited:
I've heard from others what @tankguy mentioned, that there are certain areas that they are harvested from that tend to be more resilient than others. I don't have any firsthand experience with them though.

Intesting read from 2008: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php

"Based on epizootiological, field, laboratory and aquarium studies to date, I can offer a tentative explanation of the recent history of Catalaphyllia in the trade. Early in the history of reef aquariums, Catalaphyllia were probably more common than they are today in patchy distributions in shallow, easy-to-collect-from areas. Over a period of approximately 10 years, these areas were probably overexploited and collectors moved to different and more marginal areas, including nearshore areas with higher pollution and lower water quality. Although pathogens affecting Catalaphyllia are unknown and diseased specimens appear rarely in the field, some specimens affected with ECS may have been introduced into exporters' facilities. Exporters, wholesalers and often retailers tend to keep the same species in the same tanks. A highly infectious waterborne disease that affects a single species would be expected to have ample and multiple opportunities to expose and infect healthy colonies before reaching the end users."

"It is interesting that over the past year, more and more healthy appearing Catalaphyllia specimens are being found in stores, including those recently collected in Australia."

Challenge accepted! Couldn't let you guys have all the fun with an Elegance Coral. ;)

Picked up an Australian Pink Tipped Elegance from Aquatic Collection today (well technically yesterday). Opened up nicely after a few hours.

Day_0128_20170110_7289.jpg

Day_0128_20170110_7305.jpg

Taken under Radion XR15w Pro G4 @ 20,000K lighting
Beautiful specimen. Now I want one!

Beautiful specimen. Now I want one!

That's stunning I can't wait for my redsea 250 to be ready down in a few months to add another elegance. I saw a blue tip one at the lfs where I picked mine up. Hands down one of my favorite coral. What I noticed is thay once a week it likes to close for about a day and a half but not closed completely but just about 1/3 it's normal size yesterday it was the biggest I have ever seen it!!! Definitely a coral worth keeping for its sheer beauty and elegance!!

That's stunning I can't wait for my redsea 250 to be ready down in a few months to add another elegance. I saw a blue tip one at the lfs where I picked mine up. Hands down one of my favorite coral. What I noticed is thay once a week it likes to close for about a day and a half but not closed completely but just about 1/3 it's normal size yesterday it was the biggest I have ever seen it!!! Definitely a coral worth keeping for its sheer beauty and elegance!!

I now understand why people have said these things are temperamental. My elegance is about to bite the dust. It was looking great the first 3-4 days, but then starting shrinking and shrinking. Then the flesh started to receed from the skeleton. And now today, half the tissue is missing from tissue necrosis. My guess? Got injured during my transport and got brown jelly disease, that ECS mentioned in that article above, or something of the sort. Went real quick though. Sad, I really like this solid green one with pink tips. I think I got a 5% chance this thing makes it.

Last edited:
I now understand why people have said these things are temperamental. My elegance is about to bite the dust. It was looking great the first 3-4 days, but then starting shrinking and shrinking. Then the flesh started to receed from the skeleton. And now today, half the tissue is missing from tissue necrosis. My guess? Got injured during my transport and got brown jelly disease, that ECS mentioned in that article above, or something of the sort. Went real quick though. Sad, I really like this solid green one with pink tips. I think I got a 5% chance this thing makes it.
Best of luck maybe try moving it? Wish I could be more help

I removed what dead tissue there was and some "brown stuff". I can see the skeleton through three of the five mouths. It's pretty much a goner unless one of the other two mouths miraculously survive.

Put some glue between the the live and dead tissue that might help with stopping the receding.

At least some of us have the Tyree Elegance growing in our tank :) That one has been in captivity for over 20 years.

Back