got ethical husbandry?

Felicia's 40B Predator Reef

Well it depends on the type of gorgonian. The non-photosynthetic ones can be very difficult, but the photosynthetic ones are very easy. Honestly, they're one of my favorite easy corals and I really would put them in the category with softies in terms of difficulty of care. If you get photosynthetic ones, you don't have to target feed them, but they seem to do much better with some nutrients in the water. If your tank is super clean, I'd recommend feeding some coral foods once in a while like phyto, Marine Snow, Coral Frenzy, etc. I wouldn't really say my tank is clean. My tank always has quite a bit of nutrients due to my high bioload, so I don't worry about feeding mine and they go great. Since they are photosynthetic, you do have to have somewhat decent lighting, but they don't need SPS levels. I would say moderate lighting for good growth, but they can handle most reef lighting conditions from my experience (low to high). The only other big consideration is flow. Unlike softies, they need a decent amount of flow so that algae doesn't grow on them. Also, they will shed they're skin every once in a while and they need enough flow to help pull off the shedding tissue. They don't need super high flow, but some moderate flow so they get some good movement is best.

I got to be a guest on Reef Threads! Check out Reef Threads Podcast #282 to listen to me talk about my experience in the hobby, my aquarium, and diving the kelp forests of California!

27612687373_7b0d19c8d1_z.jpg

Back