High Tide Aquatics

Fiji Corals update on Reef Therapy podcast

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Well,
Hopefully this is not against the rules. I was listening to the Reef Therapy podcast, and they had on Walt Smith. He gave a very detailed discussion about why Fiji corals were banned and why it took so long for them to open back up again. This is the Feb 7th episode. If you are interested I recommend listening to it. It clears up a lot of the rumors getting it straight from the source. Hopefully, we'll see some of these corals again soon.

Gerry

Last edited:
Well,
Hopefully this is not against the rules. I was listening to the Reef Therapy podcast, and they had on Walt Smith. He gave a very detailed discussion about why Fiji corals were band and why it took so long for them to open back up again. This is the Feb 7th episode. If you are interested I recommend listening to it. It clears up a lot of the rumors getting it straight from the source. Hopefully, we'll see some of these corals again soon.

Gerry
Kenny already got some in. What rumors? I'm not in the know about about past issues.

Also, why would it be against the rules to post about a podcast episode? Seems like we want to have open discussions about reefing in general.

Maybe I need to go reread the rules. Lol

Any time something changes in the hobby there seem to be a lot of rumors and misinformation about why. I have not heard anything specifically about this in particular, but I tend not to follow things that closely. If you look at the Hawaii export ban there were lots of stories, misinformation, press releases, etc. I still don't think that one has been figured out yet (but what do I know).
As for the podcast I just never know what can and cannot be promoted here.

Last edited:
Maybe will need to clarify this then, since your info sharing seems also very legitimate to me (although for some reason I have still not gotten very invested in the reefbuilders content with the current team, which does not mean they are not doing great work potentially).

I can’t watch reef builders. I tried. 99% of reefers on YouTube are newbies / content creators. They don’t have the years to give solid advice.
Reef builders was Jake Adams. He was the real deal.
Btw. From what wholesalers told me back in the day. Fiji shut down because companies/ people were just ripping coral out of the ocean and selling them. Zero documentation. It was a free for all.

I can’t watch reef builders. I tried. 99% of reefers on YouTube are newbies / content creators. They don’t have the years to give solid advice.
Btw. From what wholesalers told me back in the day. Fiji shut down because companies/ people were just ripping coral out of the ocean and selling them. Zero documentation. It was a free for all.
You should listen to this episode. It was very informative.

Same, remy and raj just kill the vibe for me, you can tell Mark wasn’t into it either. Also all other reefing content is shilly newbie stuff, it’s tough to find anything for a seasoned hobbyist to consume anymore.

Back