Reef nutrition

Finally a BAR memeber and a newbie to the hobby....

Hello everyone I finally got my membership paid and have been a RC member for a couple of months now as well as been reading on here; but now I am official :) I thought that I would post some info on the tank and ask some questions about frags and what not so here it goes... The 4 pictures of the tank are of it in the early cycle stage I since added another 100#'s of LR and you can see that in the horrible pic at the end I need to figure out the white ballance of my Canon a little better it seems.

The tank is a 180G AGA Dual Megaflow tank, I am running a 55g tank as the sump/refugum.

Pumps & Skimmer - I have a Quiet One 6000 for the return pump that seems to work perfect. I have a Octopus Recirc 2000 skimmer that is absolutly awsome and is fed with a Via Aqua 1300 Pump.

I have a variety of LR in there about 200 #'s or so and wonder if I should add a little more although I am going to hold off for a bit. I have around 150#'s of mixed agronite and crushed coral that I like the looks of.

Lighting - I have a Hamilton 72" Protostar with 2/250 and 1/400 14k Halides with 4 - 96w actinincs; they are wired so all of the halides are seperate and the front and rear actinincs are seperate as well made for more flexbile timing options. My High intensity LED lighting is products that I sell for other markets that I have foudn work really well on the tank; the Zoas seem to really like the Blue and white's so I guess they do get someting usable out of them which is cool because of the low power draw.

All of my equipment was purcahsed at Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell Tyler is a great guy and has really given me the courage to take on this project. I highly recomend them and he has sucha great selection of frags and fish, I also want to check out the other LFS's that are recomended here as I have heard great things about all of them...

As far as livestock is concerned I have 6 small clowns and one zoa, this hobby has turned out to be much more expensive than I had imagined so now I have this cool tank and no money to stock it lol which brings me to my next question...

I am going to participate in the frag swap in February and will pay the $60 for 2 of us to buy in, but I am wondering are there certain people on this board that newbies can purchase frags for low costs with the intention of down the road being able to be a participating member of pay it forward and such? As I stated in another thread I do not want to be though of as one of those guys who wants a bunch of freebies I just would like to start growing out my big tank and be a part of the coral trading comunity I just happen to be poor at this point in a rich man's hobby lol... Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

So thats it for now and thanks for the help along the way cannot wait to meet all of you at the frag swap.

A BIG WELCOME TO BAR FAMILY 8)!!!!
Nice looking tank so far man... If you want some kenya tree and GSP, let me know. There will be ton of these at the swap. ;D

I would change those SEIO pumps to tunze style though. You get a lot more flow out of them. :)

Welcome!....Mike is it?

Nice looking tank. How old is it? Yes if you buying everything new it can be expensive. Tyler is a sponsor of of club and donates stuff to us as well. You should tell him you jioned BAR.

The swap should be fun, busy really crowded.

I would not use your red LED lighst on the tank as the red light sometimes encourages bad algae to grow. No problem with the whit or blue.

People sometimes sell corals here as well. We do have a "don't break the chain thread", where you can get a free coral from someone, but later when you can, you pass a frag of it on to someone else. Go read around the forum alittle.

Thanks guys actually the tank is about 6 weeks old, the Seios are working pretty good I will probably keep them until I can come up with additional funds or they die, I would probably go closed loop if I were to change that setup I realy do not like the PH look in the tank...

The red LED's are for night viewing only when I want to check out the night critters they do not stay on for more than 5 or 10 minutes when I am looking at things. The interesting part is that the Zoa do not respond to the red at all they close or stay closed when the red is on and no other lighting is off. It is cool to be able to see the crabs and what not come out at night and still be able to see them.

Thanks for the offer I will definatly take you up on your offer and down the road when a newbie needs some I can pass on some myself. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Just let me know when you want to pick up. :)

I'm not suggest you to replace the pump. You can configure SEIO pump several styles. The Tunze style will give you more flow.
Here is the pic:
powerheads_taam_seio_3.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_taam_seio.asp?CartId=

[quote author=Apon link=topic=1625.msg14625#msg14625 date=1168551354]
Welcome!....Mike is it?

Nice looking tank. How old is it? Yes if you buying everything new it can be expensive. Tyler is a sponsor of of club and donates stuff to us as well. You should tell him you jioned BAR.

The swap should be fun, busy really crowded.

I would not use your red LED lighst on the tank as the red light sometimes encourages bad algae to grow. No problem with the whit or blue.

People sometimes sell corals here as well. We do have a "don't break the chain thread", where you can get a free coral from someone, but later when you can, you pass a frag of it on to someone else. Go read around the forum alittle.
[/quote]

Far too little usable light from a few red LED's to spark any growth in anything :)

[quote author=MC-Lighting-Concepts link=topic=1625.msg14621#msg14621 date=1168549791]
My High intensity LED lighting is products that I sell for other markets that I have foudn work really well on the tank;

.... this hobby has turned out to be much more expensive than I had imagined so now I have this cool tank and no money to stock it lol which brings me to my next question...

[/quote]

Welcome to BAR - We have a great bunch of folks on board, some extreme power houses and some "normal" folks too ;-) (I',m in the latter group ..... I think ...)

Anyway, the cost thing just keeps getting worse! So being a member here, networking and going to our swaps (and other clubs) is a very cool way to get going. I just posted apicture of my Echinophyllia, which is probably ~ 8" diameter now, I got it from my first swap when it was barely the size of a dime!

Anyway, see you at the swap .... and volunteers are always welcomed and a good way to get to know everyone :)

well thanks again everyone for the kind welcome, yeah I think I may have gone just a bit overboard when I spec'd this tank out but in the long run I think it will be worth it since I won't have to upgrade the size or equipment too soon although I still think I can fit a 500G in my office ;D What kind of volunteer work is needed I might be able to help out some even though I don't know much about fragging and such as of yet....

Elite thanks a bunch! I am pretty open scheduled I can work around whats good for you as your going out of your way to help me... and thanks Zeplock that would be cool as well!

I am in the process of taking some more pictures with the different lights on but my camera just keeps shooting with too much blue its driving me crazy!

[quote author=MC-Lighting-Concepts link=topic=1625.msg14672#msg14672 date=1168584649]
well thanks again everyone for the kind welcome, yeah I think I may have gone just a bit overboard when I spec'd this tank out but in the long run I think it will be worth it since I won't have to upgrade the size or equipment too soon although I still think I can fit a 500G in my office ;D What kind of volunteer work is needed I might be able to help out some even though I don't know much about fragging and such as of yet....

Elite thanks a bunch! I am pretty open scheduled I can work around whats good for you as your going out of your way to help me... and thanks Zeplock that would be cool as well!

I am in the process of taking some more pictures with the different lights on but my camera just keeps shooting with too much blue its driving me crazy!
[/quote]

We could certainly use help setting up the swap space beforehand and/or breaking down after. Also, anything else you can think of with 300 people attending a swap, .....that needs to get done too! LOL!!!

cool I will see what I can do to help, I have to help with a move on that day so not sure if I will come early or leave late but sure I can find an extra hour to give a hand...

Back