High Tide Aquatics

Fire_Reefer's Begginer's Journey - Fluval 13.5gal

The tank is looking great !!!! Where did you get a "gold indo torch" for $20 ? :D I also have a small tank I just started about a year ago and have been looking for a nice torch.

Very nice start to the tank, and it was great meeting you last week!

A couple things:

1. If you still need the media chambers, let me know; if @newfly can provide me with the files I'd be happy to print them out and give them to you the next time you're in SJ and swing by on the 680 corridor.

2. If you have the time on that trip, I'd be happy to give you some spare zoas and/or LPS I've got in my frag tank to help fill it out some more.

@Fire_Reefer your tank looks great!!
Glad I’m not the only one with the 13.5!

Now give it a few days till @Coral reefer starts asking you to upgrade

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest replacing the stock lid with a DIY mesh lid. Helps in better gas exchange and keeps the tank a lot cooler.

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest replacing the stock lid with a DIY mesh lid. Helps in better gas exchange and keeps the tank a lot cooler.
I don’t ask. I tell!
And be honest. You know you want to, and will. It’s just a matter of time and circumstance.

My first tank was the same 13.5, its a great first tank! It still runs at my parents house. The upgraded pump and media boxes are key, and the skimmer never really was worth it, so we made a little fuge out of that chamber. Great tank and start!

That is coming up really nicely. I have a fluval 13.5 gal as well, and I am thinking of converting into a reef tank. Are you still using stock lighting for your setup?

Also, I am curious about your water changes. Do you do those regularly?

The updates are very entertaining. keep them coming!
I have the same tank. Stock lighting is sufficient for an initial batch of corals, but you will want to upgrade the lighting and get rid of the stock lid.

@vissen319 I upgraded the pump to the sicce 0.5, but other than that im still pretty much stock. I recently finished my homemade media chamber
20210705_121639.jpg

I purchased the intank and copied the measurements and did a little custom build out of an acrylic sheet. Got a little impatient on one of the cuts, thus the big crack. Water change wise I have been doing about 1.5 gal every 2 weeks.

@yoyohead my LFS (the ultimate aquarium in Monterey) said that it was indo gold torch. I'm not sure though, maybe a cristata? When I got it, it had lost a head and it was very stubby:
20210508_220412.jpg

Here it is now :
20210614_162023.jpg

Last edited:
Back