Kessil

fish in crowded LFS tank

newfly

Supporting Member
I should stay away from the name of the LFS. I’m looking for a kole tang and saw one at a LFS. They keep the large number of fish in a big tank. Extremely crowded. if course the fish is stressed

I will plan on QT any incoming fish. Is it too risky to get fish from this setup?

Aren’t koles endemic to Hawaii? Usually I don’t think it’s good to support a business with poor practices like that, but there won’t be many options to get a kole with Hawaii closed.

Aren’t koles endemic to Hawaii? Usually I don’t think it’s good to support a business with poor practices like that, but there won’t be many options to get a kole with Hawaii closed.
Nyah -- kole tangs extend from Hawaii to Australia. In Hawaii, kole tangs are also a menu choice btw... :)

Have you seen a lfs without crowded holding tanks?

Most have smaller tanks. This specific one have large holding tank, with very large number of fish in a single tank. Maybe fish/gallon ratio is the same. For example, store A 1 have 10fish in 10g. Store B, have 100 fish in 100g.

I personally know fish collectors operating in Hawaii.

1 of them is well established and the information I got from him is that Hawaii will start from a blank slate. They will reissue licenses with strict oversight and will only allow divers with licenses to collect. Previously, these license holders will 'farm' out the actual collection process to others. Moving forward, only the license holders are allowed to collect.

This is all hearsay but he has been in the industry and has been collecting from Hawaii for a long time. Hoping it will happen as he said and Hawaiian fish will be available soon. But pricing will not come down to what they were before.

I personally know fish collectors operating in Hawaii.

1 of them is well established and the information I got from him is that Hawaii will start from a blank slate. They will reissue licenses with strict oversight and will only allow divers with licenses to collect. Previously, these license holders will 'farm' out the actual collection process to others. Moving forward, only the license holders are allowed to collect.

This is all hearsay but he has been in the industry and has been collecting from Hawaii for a long time. Hoping it will happen as he said and Hawaiian fish will be available soon. But pricing will not come down to what they were before.
I heard minimum 3 year ban. Not true?

Most have smaller tanks. This specific one have large holding tank, with very large number of fish in a single tank. Maybe fish/gallon ratio is the same. For example, store A 1 have 10fish in 10g. Store B, have 100 fish in 100g.
Ah, yeah... I get stressed on the few times I popper in there... I was gonna say there are stores like Neptune or 360Coralz that don't overdo the stocking per tank. The other store in question only employs a handful of tanks...so whether fish per volume is reasonable, it's just all very jammed visually...

Ah, yeah... I get stressed on the few times I popper in there... I was gonna say there are stores like Neptune or 360Coralz that don't overdo the stocking per tank. The other store in question only employs a handful of tanks...so whether fish per volume is reasonable, it's just all very jammed visually...
You seems to know which store i'm talking about. :)

You seems to know which store i'm talking about. :)
I'm pretty sure I know which lfs you're referring to. I feel bad seeing the fish but I've always wondered if there was a method to the madness. After all, the fish I've gotten from him over the years have always been the hardiest and were never finicky about food. Chronic fish loss would be terrible on business finances but apparently it hasn't been detrimental enough to change his stocking methods either.

Herd immunity? Heavy competition triggers willingness eat whatever is available? Space to swim is more important than fish per square foot? Don't know.

Last edited:
It looks like they are getting ready to add a bunch of tanks in the back. Hopefully... I've gotten several fish from them and they are doing great.

Does stocking density matter if its temporary? I dont think Ive ever seen an LFS with proper fish densities.

If it looks healthy, eats and has no visible damage... thats the best you can expect from an LFS. The rest is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back