Neptune Aquatics

Fishless frag tank for post frag swap

Hi Bar
I’m wondering if anyone has a fish-less frag tank (or really any tank without fish that can grow coral) that I can rent space in for after the frag swap. I’d like to participate in the swap but I don’t want to risk introducing a fish disease into my nano tank after the agony of quarantining my 3 fish in my tiny sf apartment so I’d like to keep the corals I would get in a fish-less system for 76 days to be as sure as possible I don’t introduce ich. I’ve considered setting up my own fishless coral qt at home but my husband is understandably sick of quarantine tanks on our tiny 1 bedroom. So I figured I’d reach out to BAR community and see if anyone has such a system and would be willing to hold my frags for 76 days. I’d be happy to pay you in some way we could work out.

ps- I know I may be being overly worried about introducing disease from frag plugs and coral skeleton but I think I’m at the point where the risk to my fish isn’t worth the reward of having more cool corals. So don’t judge me too much!

76 days? Good lord that's a lot of time.

I mean I just shut down my frag tank (heaters/lights) but will do a near 100% water change a day before the swap to put my frags for QT, but that will be maybe a week or so while I just make sure there's nothing really hiding on there. Would love to help, but I can't do 76 days.

Yeah I know it’s an insane amount of time! But according to reef2reef’s disease experts it’s the only way to be sure you don’t introduce ich cysts and while I think it’s overkill I just don’t want to take any risks with the 3 fish I’ve worked so hard to qt.

I usually do 45 day quarantine for corals and other inverts. Maybe a little longer if it comes from a a questionable source. That time frame is mostly based on this thread:

I may be able to quarantine some additional corals. I don’t envision shutting my invert tank down for a while. I also live in a smaller flat in SF, so my quarantine tank isn’t huge, but it is at the other end of my flat as the display and can support SPS for at least 45 days. A couple of things though:
  1. After battling aiptaisa in my first tank, I have little patience for them. If I see one in quarantine and whatever it’s on can’t be easily removed, I usually just throw the entire frag away. It’s not worth it.
  2. 76 days is an extremely long time to keep corals in a smaller tank. I can’t guarantee everything makes it through.

I had a fishless coral Qt grow out tank for a couple of years and I quarantined all corals for 3 months. Being fishless was fine. I changed water very regularly (no skimmer either). Corals survived and grew. I just didn't want to risk putting anything in my tank after tearing it down due to Ich.

Back