Kessil

Flattening screen

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I’m putting together a screen top - is there a trick for getting the screen material flat before I attach it? Should I iron it? Leave it under plywood overnight?

If you are using window trim to make your screen , use a trime tool and pull material tight
+1
That is how I did mine and they came out pretty good. Did it solo too.

Attachments

• 1E5CEAF8-D9AC-4B74-9F99-A05507825D77.jpeg
    1E5CEAF8-D9AC-4B74-9F99-A05507825D77.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 130
I would lay down the frame on the floor, stretch it out a little to make sure it flat then tape it. Use the right roller tool to tuck rubber line to the frame, make sure the rubber kine in place. After done, remove the tape and trim the extra.

I would lay down the frame on the floor, stretch it out a little to make sure it flat then tape it. Use the right roller tool to tuck rubber line to the frame, make sure the rubber kine in place. After done, remove the tape and trim the extra.
You tape the screen to the floor, frame under screen?

My first one was a disaster but this one is taut. Here’s a trick when rolling the spline: for the first two sides, put your palm on the screen inside the frame - so the screen pulls outside material. For the last two sides, put your palm on the screen outside the frame, so it pulls and tightens.

If it’s larger, you can duct tape the frame down so it doesn’t warp.
Though mine is small (3' long) thinking of doing this too. Get the corners nice and square and then tape them down. Then, like @nly04 mentioned, will tape the screen to the floor before rolling the spline. Appreciate you spelling out your rolling method. Maybe this weekend will give it a go.

The trick I used when I did mine was get one side first and follow the line in the screen evenly with the spline tool. Then for the next side I stretched screen out taut, noted the line in the screen where the spline would go on top and then just kept feeding the screen from the side following the line in the screen. Repeat on other 2 ends and it will looks uniform and taut. Then just razor blade the excess from the other side of the spline. Take your time and don’t rush it.

Back