Neptune Aquatics

Flesh eating bacteria in fishtanks

rygh - What are you using for gloves? I found "reef sleeves" at The Filter Guys (http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm). I'd like to find something a little thicker though.

~Charlie

Piper said:
rygh - What are you using for gloves? I found "reef sleeves" at The Filter Guys (http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm). I'd like to find something a little thicker though.

~Charlie

I like "Coralife Aqua Gloves".
They are a bit thick, so feel is not great though.
Nice and long, so for most things, you stay completely dry.
Well, except the gloves tend to fold/crinkle a bit on the arm, which invariably catches water
that ends up on the floor.

Thanks Mark. I found a couple more doing a Google search but they look to be the same thing as the Aqua Gloves for the most part. I had a pair of those years ago and I remember getting water all over the floor/stand/tank too.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-WG772L-26-Inch-Nitrile/dp/B001PBEIZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
http://www.labsafety.com/NORTH-Shoulder-Length-Nitrile-Gloves_24543574/

I might order a pair of the Nitrile gloves from LSS - they look like they may not be quite as thick as the Aqua Gloves but thicker than the reef sleeves.

~Charlie

Ugh Aquagloves.... like trying to grab something wearing a 5 gallon bucket :)

Those shoulder-length nitrile gloves look like a good idea. I used to have the orange/purple Coralife gloves, and it was extremely difficult to pick up anything other than a big rock... the fingers don't move much.

tuberider said:
sfsuphysics said:
The best protection in your tanks is your skin... make sure it doesn't get punctured :D

+1
yar!

I use unpowdered nitrile gloves. Hands get plenty wet, but not scraped up! Also, I don't do tank work when I have visible cuts on my hands/forearms. Period.

Well .... being a bit of a klutz ... big thick gloves for me.
Oh - and shoes. Don't ask.
I may try those nitrile/cotton ones. Would be nice to have a bit more dexterity and less water everywhere.

I've actually had a mild case of this or something similar. It starts with sores that fester, and then you get these large red circles around them--presumably trying to fight the infection. It took like 3-4 weeks for them to go away, but until then they were kind of 'juicy'. I didn't take anything for it, but in hindsight, I probably should have. I just thought it was another version of the swollen fingers that you get when re-arranging live rock for a few hours.

Seems to me, that being overly worried about this is a bit of shark attack syndrome. Seems to me I have about the same chance of contracting this as I do getting hit from behind by a bike on the sidewalk. I don't wear rearview mirrors when I am out walking and I don't wear gloves when I have my hands in tanks (and having hands, and my body, in tanks is my job!). Sure there is a danger, but is it really worth worrying about?

purplereef said:
I've actually had a mild case of this or something similar. It starts with sores that fester, and then you get these large red circles around them--presumably trying to fight the infection. It took like 3-4 weeks for them to go away, but until then they were kind of 'juicy'. I didn't take anything for it, but in hindsight, I probably should have. I just thought it was another version of the swollen fingers that you get when re-arranging live rock for a few hours.

Dermatologist said those are nothing to worry about. Pretty much from the drying and wetting with saltwater. Divers get them on occasion as well.

I've had it all... been nailed by just about everything and I still don't wear gloves.

I'd say it's worth worrying about to the extent of wearing simple gloves. Getting into a body suite or thick full length gloves imo are a bit much. Many times, those nitrile gloves have saved me from getting cut up by those damn vermetid snails.

Wearing a rearview mirror while walking is a bit much, but it isn't too much to ask for people to walk on the side walk and not walk in the gutter when there is a sidewalk next to them :)

Tony how many cases of people contracting this, or other issues as opposed to how many thousands that don't? I suspect you will find it's much easier to choke on a 1/4lb of beef then it is to get the nasties from saltwater.

besides, if you do get something like I did, it's easy to perform home surgery and remove it :lol: scalpel.... super glue... Betadine... all set.
(DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME.... I'M CRAZY LIKE THAT)

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the chance of contracting a major nastie is really low. I wear gloves mainly because I otherwise get stabbed by vermetids too often and have picked up rocks/coral only to know that I otherwise would have gripped into a bristle worm or two.

Dunno what gloves you're using that can protect you from vermetid snails. You should see that those do to wetsuits :(

Back