High Tide Aquatics

For those that dose Alk

For those of you that dose alkalinity, which product do you use? I've been using BRS' soda ash but am a bit concerned about precipitation. Do others here use sodium bicarbonate instead?

Right now I dose into the return section of my sump; when I dose Alk, I do notice that a bit of it settles at the bottom of the sump. It does seem to disappear eventually.

In order to maintain a 7 dkh, I am dosing ~45ml a day on my 150g which consists of mostly frags. Is that a lot or normal? When I set up this tank, I used Reef Crystals which usually as a ~11 dkh; after a month of not doing water changes, I was surprised to find my dkh fell to ~5.5.

Here is a pic for reference:
IMG_1888.jpg

I have a 50g frag tank and I dose about 40-45 mL of Red Sea Foundation alk reagent a day. That sounds like you're well within normal use.

I dose into my return pump section which isn't turbulent enough. I used to get buildup in that chamber until I added a small powerhead pushing flow directly where the additives drip in. No more precipitation after that and was able to adjust the ml needed down.

45ml a day sounds normal. I would move your dosing line to the first chamber of your sump where the tank water first enters because of the water movement will be faster and help with the precipitation
Hey John, this is the sump I have. I'm not sure I can pipe my dosing tube into the first chamber and I think by the time the water moves into the skimmer section, it may already be too slow?
1624914239082.png

I dose into my return pump section which isn't turbulent enough. I used to get buildup in that chamber until I added a small powerhead pushing flow directly where the additives drip in. No more precipitation after that and was able to adjust the ml needed down.
Thanks, I may have to add a small powerhead as well.

u can keep it same spot and can dose smaller amounts every hour - more during peak time cause that's when alk will be consumed more. I used to dose about 720ml kalk and split it up in a 24hour period. 120ml alk during lights are on 10hours. cal I dont remember but almost equal parts.

Good reminder for me to try adding powerhead in sump. Thought Apex dosing Ca and Alk opposite times of day/night into tiny section where skimmer water exits would be enough flow to prevent precipitation. Uh, I was very wrong. (dosing tubes were positioned directly in front of that white area.)
IMG_0974.JPG

Not sure if I should try in drain chamber where white drain pipes are plus big skimmer not shown in pic, or in return. However, I have some LR in the return chamber plus I don't want to seize up return pump.

Good reminder for me to try adding powerhead in sump. Thought Apex dosing Ca and Alk opposite times of day/night into tiny section where skimmer water exits would be enough flow to prevent precipitation. Uh, I was very wrong. (dosing tubes were positioned directly in front of that white area.)
View attachment 29171
Not sure if I should try in drain chamber where white drain pipes are plus big skimmer not shown in pic, or in return. However, I have some LR in the return chamber plus I don't want to seize up return pump.
Dose into the return chamber. I put my lines right into the last baffle before the return chamber.

Dose into the return chamber. I put my lines right into the last baffle before the return chamber.
That's just where mine were dripping. Maybe my baffle area is too small or I need to get further away from the acrylic and over open water. I need to set it up and try again. Thanks.

Lol. I'm lazy and cheap. I dose A&H super washing soda.

I drip right at the edge of my middle chamber before it runs into the return section. Max turbulence and better mixing.

Back