Reef nutrition

Frag Station

So I'm getting tired of putting these lil frags on my frag racks and the sandbed in my DT and would rather have them grow in a frag tank. I was originally going to hook this up to my DT but that's not gonna fly with my wife. Especially after I had 10 gallons siphon out on the floor last month. :X

I don't want to spend much for the tank so luckily I have the following laying around:

Return - Eheim Compact + 2000 return
Lighting - 4x24W 30" Current fixture

Below is what I have purchased:

Tank - A frag tank was given to me but with my fixture on the tank it looked like it was a PITA to remove with the bracing in the way and get to the frags so I opted to get a rimless frag tank for a good price.

Sump - I was able to find an 15R acrylic tank from Joe and Karson to build a sump.

Skimmer - found a BM NAC3.5 for a good price.

Stand - DIY built.

Frag racks - Was going to use black egg crate but after reading Jim's and Mike's DIY acrylic frag rack and seeing these overpriced frag racks I opted to build my own.

Besides the stand being a place for the tank and sump I'd like to make a "station" out of it. The wood on the right in the pic below represents a drawer. Actually it will be more like a solid piece of wood that I can close and open. When I open the drawer I can put my saw and my other tools for fragging on top and start cutting away like a surgeon. :) This way I won't be far from the tank. So cut, dip, and put in the tank. Good or bad idea? Your thoughts?

frag_station.jpg

If making it a drawer presents any design issues, you can always hinge it and have it lift up from the side, like one of the shelves on the side of a barbecue.

Definitely worth making your own frag racks unless you can get them on sale or need something magnetic.

Tamazula said:
If making it a drawer presents any design issues, you can always hinge it and have it lift up from the side, like one of the shelves on the side of a barbecue.

Definitely worth making your own frag racks unless you can get them on sale or need something magnetic.

I would opt for that anyways. A drawer can slide closed on you but every one of those lift up assemblies I have ever used has locked into place.

GreshamH said:
Tamazula said:

I would opt for that anyways. A drawer can slide closed on you but every one of those lift up assemblies I have ever used has locked into place.

Thought about this but wasn't sure what to use to hold it up. You have a link to an assembly I can use?

I have catalogs at home that I can get you links from. Most wood working stores should have them. In San Carlos by the REI there is a chain store (Woodcraft?) that should have them. Gimme till tomorrow, I'll hook you up :D

Cool, thanks G!

These might also work too.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=773&rrt=1

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10953 (pretty expensive option and not sure I want to have a leg)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5817 (cheaper option of above link)

Actually I think this might be better.

I like that last one but how would you deal with it? Have a hole cut out in that area so it can be grabbed?

One thing to keep in mind is that the plated steel options are going to rust FAST. Items such as that first one, the steel with a brass finish, will get trashed by saltwater in no time flat. The last one is neat too, but if it's steel, and it rusts, it's going to STICK, and then you'll be cursing it. I don't know about you, but when I'm fragging I spill water, drop stuff, and make all kinds of messes. I'd really think it would be good to look for an aluminum or even a plastic option if it was my project.

Looks like a really cool tank design though! I've been thinking the same exact things myself, I hate how crowded my sandbed is with injured/freshly cut/etc stuff that I don't want to mount to the rockwork. I'm jealous of all the space you've got!

Thinking something like this might be more dependable in the long run, stainless is better than plated steel:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/FURNITURE+HINGES/Table+Hinges+-+Shelf+Hinges/Hinged+Shelf+Support%2C+Stainless+Steel

** Never used this site, it's a random google hit, so I do not know if this online store is a good source.

If you look for something for your tank, it helps to search marine hardware stores as well. Saltwater is not kind to furniture.

@Gresham - not sure what you mean. It would be behind the working table door when it's closed. Just swing it up and grab the finger pull.

Good points Gusty! They do have a wood one which may be better. I'm gonna guess it's made out of steel. Might need to prime and paint it to be more rust resistant.

Haven't thought about when I start fragging. I'll probably just use a lid a bin to a storage container and put it on the working station. Any other ideas are welcome. :)

I recall Arman (reefer) did something similar as to a frag station that was attached to the stand.

The tabletop was hinged so it would fold flat against the side of the tank. The top was held up similar to a drop leaf table where a triangular piece of hinged wood would support the tabletop.

GreshamH said:
I have catalogs at home that I can get you links from. Most wood working stores should have them. In San Carlos by the REI there is a chain store (Woodcraft?) that should have them. Gimme till tomorrow, I'll hook you up :D

Woodcraft it is indeed, it's on Industrial.

I have the same hinged shelf on my frag tank- it works great and always gets an 'ohhhh that's cool' when people see it. Woodcraft has the folding hinges, they're like $13 and white. 2 sizes to chose from.

Started building the stand on this Presidents Day weekend. The door and table will have to wait. Trying to get this thing up and running ASAP. Getting sick of the ugly frag racks in the DT.

The pic of the blue pieces are acrylic I bought from TP. They'll be laid out in that way.

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

gimmito said:
John,

Nice work...you and Mario should get in the cabinet making business. ;)

Cabinets are not my thing. Mario builds killer cabinets. :) Thanks again for the drill bit! That thing cuts like butter. However, I did make a few cracks. :X

Frag tank is almost done with the exception of the door. I built a door but it didn't come out to square. :X So I just ended up ordering a raised panel door. The folding table is held up by a piece of square wood which slides into the cabinet. I've got some LR and LS from my DT and through in raw shrimp to get a robust cycle. So I'm basically on countdown til the cycle completes.

IMG_2183.JPG

Back