Our mission

Frag tank to WC vessel

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I have a 22g frag tank that is plumbed into my DT with its own return pump. Since things are in shambles at the moment, I want to get more disciplined about water changes. Making them easier would go a long way.

So, I’m thinking about converting this frag tank to a water change vessel. I could automate a lot of this.

Shut off return pump to frag tank, wait a couple of minutes.
Turn on pmup to drain it until optical sensor on the bottom is open.
Turn on flood guardian to fill it with rodi.
Turn on power heads and heater.
Send me a message to add salt.
After salinity is confirmed, shut off heater and power heads and turn on return pump.

Any thoughts? Bad idea?
Can I add a second salinity probe to the Apex?

Dude that’s what I do it makes everything way easy! My light above the frag tank is easily movable, I do all my tests and what not right out of the frag tank, I add trace elements, etc. makes things easy without having to mess with the display. I don’t use it to mix salt I just use it to take water out of and add back to it. My display is bare bottom, so no need to go in there, every couple of weeks I siphon sand out through a filter sock back into the sump

I have a 22g frag tank that is plumbed into my DT with its own return pump. Since things are in shambles at the moment, I want to get more disciplined about water changes. Making them easier would go a long way.

So, I’m thinking about converting this frag tank to a water change vessel. I could automate a lot of this.

Shut off return pump to frag tank, wait a couple of minutes.
Turn on pmup to drain it until optical sensor on the bottom is open.
Turn on flood guardian to fill it with rodi.
Turn on power heads and heater.
Send me a message to add salt.
After salinity is confirmed, shut off heater and power heads and turn on return pump.

Any thoughts? Bad idea?
Can I add a second salinity probe to the Apex?
If you are always adding a consistent amount of RODI water, you could also have the salt pre-weighed out and automatically dumped into the tank during the frag tank filling process. You also could automate the salinity confirmation with a salinity probe. You still could have a big red button you press to trigger the actual water change, allowing for you to do a final check if you want.

Back