Neptune Aquatics

Gablami's Reefer 525 Build

Really clean! Nice!
But seems like a lot of glare. Just the camera?

Suggestion: You might want something so that MP40 dry side does not drop in the frag tank if you bump it.
Yes, it looks like it's not tied down, but there is a low profile cable clip on it. Now that you guys mention it, it's too far away, now that there is a tank right under it, and I will probably put a traditional sticker mount and tie on it. Thanks for looking out :).

Pics of the mag!?
Ok, the mag arrived and looked super healthy. Tight mouth. Inflated. It is small, about a 3.5 inch base.

4167f7ea57538b2156f6f5b3c58eaa4f.jpg

8e0676926a134cf6a1389d0f49c240cd.jpg

Since it looked good, I decided not to treat unless it deteriorates. My problem is that it won’t stick down to the rock. Whenever I turn on flow (even indirect low flow) it will lift off and start floating around.

I moved in into my frag tank last night in a coffee mug just to keep it from floating around, and it still let go.
59f3a4db8ddfe1baec07d6b935eaa756.jpg

So finally this morning I put it in an acclimation box and will plan on leaving it there awhile for it to figure itself out :). Mouth is still tight and it looks inflated.

(Sorry @kinetic, my pictures aren’t as nice as yours [emoji14])

e50150864463a09a147b41c1839ba2e9.jpg

Here’s a pic of the mouth:

803d4eea4d543690d1a04afee9d20f09.jpg

My concern now is that Orion, the og nem guy on RC raised a concern that this could be an H malu, but I’ve been messaging with gig’em on R2R, who initially saw the pics and thought it was “definitely a mag”. I haven’t tried to push it more, because I figure time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are great photos!

In terms of taking a foothold, it might take up to 12 hours to finally start sticking again. At first mine wouldn't attach. Then after a day in an acclimation box it did. Once I peeled it off carefully, it was fast to reattach. If it stays inflated when you get it off, it will most likely reattach quickly. But that's just my one experience.

In terms of it being a malu vs. mag... it does kind of look like a malu. The tentacles are not very mag like, but it's hard to tell until it's fully inflated and happy. The underside being bumpy is kind of strange, but the actual foot does look like mine.

I think Orion is the ultimate nem expert. I'd also reach out to D-Nak on RC (he's local to us, and knows his stuff).

Hard to be sure but I would agree with Orion on this. Tentacle shape is closer to a H. malu.

@kinetic the bottom is supposed to be bumpy like that. They are called Verrucae. Your H. magnifica should have those too.

They’re both beautiful nems, is the concern that H. malu would not be as inclined as the magnifica to stay on the nem shelf?

H. malu is a sand dweller. Guess that’s an easy way to find out. Does it stay or climb down and burrow.

Orion has an H. malu that I sold him. It’s become 1 of his more beautiful nems.

My main concern is that an h malu is not a natural host for my ocellaris. Yeah I’ll find out soon enough. Just want to make sure it doesn’t die on me for now.

These are great photos!

In terms of taking a foothold, it might take up to 12 hours to finally start sticking again. At first mine wouldn't attach. Then after a day in an acclimation box it did. Once I peeled it off carefully, it was fast to reattach. If it stays inflated when you get it off, it will most likely reattach quickly. But that's just my one experience.

In terms of it being a malu vs. mag... it does kind of look like a malu. The tentacles are not very mag like, but it's hard to tell until it's fully inflated and happy. The underside being bumpy is kind of strange, but the actual foot does look like mine.

I think Orion is the ultimate nem expert. I'd also reach out to D-Nak on RC (he's local to us, and knows his stuff).
He stuck down to the acclimation box overnight and has stayed stuck throughout the day. A good sign I think. I’ll leave him in the acclimation box for a week and then move him out and see if he stays on the pedestal. If he keeps crawling off from right under the light, then maybe he’s not a mag. I don’t have sand in the frag tank, so if it’s a malu it’s going to be a wandering around until it finds its way into another reefer’s tank. :D

Maybe try sticking a Tupperware container of sand in with it and put it in and see how he takes to it.

My clownfish finally took to my LTA after about 6 weeks. They didn’t go anywhere near my BTAs even after a year with them.

If you’re worried about your clownfish taking to a malu, if that’s what it turns out to be, you could add the clownfish to the acclimation box to force them into contact. Pretty much if you put a clownfish and anemone in a small enough space they will eventually “find” each other.

I've seen ocellaris with a lot of non-native hosts (I had them with a BTA a long time ago), and then I've seen mine with a magnifica. The difference was really noticeable to me. It looked like to me that with the non-native, they seemed be OK with it, and with the magnifica they were absolutely drunk with happiness.

Not sure...It’s looking happy, but it moved under the frag rack and not staying on the pedestal. Might just be acclimating. I’m withholding judgement a bit longer.

I thought I had successfully established a copperband into my tank. I was still feeding it a clam on a half shell every other night, but it was active, picking at the rocks constantly, looking well fed. I had passed the three month point and thought I was in the clear.

But then this morning I saw it floating around, swimming upside down, and land in my elegance. Two nights ago I saw it eating the clam and yesterday seemed fine.

633d43901b97ac535d78a51d4f6b3b8c.jpg

I had read reports of CBBs just dying randomly, and many in this club have said that too, but a part of me didn’t believe it just happened out of the blue. The survival rates of this fish in tank aquaria is so dismal! Maybe it’s time to try some other “reef safe” butterflies.

I thought I had successfully established a copperband into my tank. I was still feeding it a clam on a half shell every other night, but it was active, picking at the rocks constantly, looking well fed. I had passed the three month point and thought I was in the clear.

But then this morning I saw it floating around, swimming upside down, and land in my elegance. Two nights ago I saw it eating the clam and yesterday seemed fine.

633d43901b97ac535d78a51d4f6b3b8c.jpg

I had read reports of CBBs just dying randomly, and many in this club have said that too, but a part of me didn’t believe it just happened out of the blue. The survival rates of this fish in tank aquaria is so dismal! Maybe it’s time to try some other “reef safe” butterflies.

That’s a pretty short list isn’t it?

Back