Jestersix

getting out of the hobby : (

Apon

Supporting Member
Made you look! : )

So what would it take for you to leave this hobby?

For me it would have to be a big catastrophe! like the tank broke or fire! I if I lost my job and had funding problems, I would probably just stop buying new stuff, but keep what I had alive....I would miss visiting/buying new stuff. I don't think getting reef pests would do it.....or I just give everything to Eileen, Dudley or Norm.

I don't feel bad...sometimes I really hate this hobby....usually when I lose something and I can't explain why it died....but like they say "if it was too easy then it wouldn't worth doing"

Kenji and Norm you didn't answer the question.

Norm, I don't have 18 clams to give you, but I will buy you one if it gets you interested in keeping clams. :) I only have Eileen as my clam shopping buddie so far.

I like Jeremy's answer : ) .......3 thing we all have to do in life - Pay taxes, have a reef tank, and die. All 3 sound so negative.

since one of my tanks is a SPS dedicated tank, most of which is acropora species, with a few other sps & LPS thrown in, a good bout of AEFW would have me give up on SPS.. maybe turn it into a fish only tank, always wanted a large angelfish... or perhaps I'd just get rid of it and stick with softies.

But even though SPS aren't as "cool" as softies (i.e. more static) it's almost a peaceful bonsai like hobby, where you wait patiently for the end result which never arrives.

Ehh.. I dunno, I'm doing a bathroom remodel (for the past week), and I've let my tanks get neglected a bit. This hobby is a jealous bitch that won't let you do too much of anything else. You could automate certain items, but the trade off is a catastrophic failure if something goes wrong, my skimmer has overflowed enough times to remind me to NEVER put a drain tube from the collection cup (ala Eric Borneman), hell the past week I've missed dosing calcium and alkalinity more than once. Ehh I'm rambling now.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2176.msg21500#msg21500 date=1182558639]Kenji and Norm you didn't answer the question.[/quote]

Hehe... ok. To leave the hobby completely would have to take something catastrophic and life changing. More than just a tank crash or even a fire.

Even if I lost my job and my house and had to get out of the hobby, it would just be temporary.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2176.msg21500#msg21500 date=1182558639]Norm, I don't have 18 clams to give you, but I will buy you one if it gets you interested in keeping clams. :)[/quote]

Oh, I'm interested in keeping clams. I've always liked them. I just don't want to start a whole other thing to learn about and take care of right now. I've been deliberately not reading up on clams :D

I have paranoia about unstable alkalinity if I start keeping clams. Plus it's bad enough to get an algae bloom when a big snail dies in the tank. I have images of a big clam dying unnoticed in the tank and making all my sps turn brown. Worse would be hair algae outbreak from hell. Even worse yet would be that it happens on one of the 4 days in the year that it gets really hot in Alameda, and my tank's D.O. drops way low, and everything crashes.

geeze you scared me arnold, zomg =(

for me, it'd be some life threatening allergy to something in the tank, or a loved one who had an allergy to it, or if it became an addiction that got way out of hand... wait... that might already be... but anyway, yeah something like that.

Art you are already addicted : ) we have to start a reefers support group!

Norm, trust me you would notice a dead clam. one wouldn't hurt your tank...in fact it may help. In SF I have seen 3 stores carring nice small deresa's - good starter clams. :) You too would need to jion the support group for your addiction.

Mike, I like your colored sticks, hope you have no problems with them....Norm even Mike has a clam : )

Kenji, you should post a pict of your tank. That way we know what it would look like before the volcano pops in.....what can go wrong will go wrong!

Major catastrophe will make me think about quitting. I think about it a lot when I have to go on vacation. I feel bad about asking someone to watch the tank. Somehow, I also always loose something when I'm gone.

Arnold, I have 2 clams actually :D

Although I was thinking of one of those Hippopus ones for a little extra filtering action, I wouldn't mind a lot of clams, however until I get around to getting my calcium reactor going I'm not going to do it. However when I do... along with my sunlit growout tank (bigger than the one I have) look out! (hopefully I don't boil my water)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2176.msg21588#msg21588 date=1182876522]
Arnold, I have 2 clams actually :D

Although I was thinking of one of those Hippopus ones for a little extra filtering action, I wouldn't mind a lot of clams, however until I get around to getting my calcium reactor going I'm not going to do it. However when I do... along with my sunlit growout tank (bigger than the one I have) look out! (hopefully I don't boil my water)

[/quote]

Mmmmm...
boiled clams.
:D

I know we all go through our rough times, but there is some kind of light at the end of the proverbial tunnell. Although it's awfully dim for me right now.

I think it goes through everyone mind when there is a disaster or your tank is going down hill and you are at a lost to the cause. If the love is still there, you will continue.

I quit once after my tank cooked itself while I was on vacation, but missed it after a year, and then came back did fresh water ... hated it

came back to salt, almost quit again after my tank was taken over by thousand of mojanos ... but fough it and won and been in it ever since .... this hobby has so much ups and down ... ... but only the strong survive ;)

Back