Kessil

Getting rid of lettuce algae?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So I've been having an outbreak of lettuce algae in the tank. I've tried manual removal/scraping, but nothing seems to be eating it (including a sea hare I purchased and tried out) and it keeps coming back. Any tips (that don't include vibrant, since I have chaeto?)

Tangs will destroy that in a heartbeat... Been trying to regrow some... absolute fail since Tangs will destroy and bit that even tries to grow.

Emerald crabs are the most effective - they cut the ulva loose to eat, and then set it free to drift into the filter. So for every leaf they eat, 4 end up in the filter. Provided you use filter socks…

Zebrasoma tangs love ulva but not so much bristletooths or acanthurus IME.

Tuxedo urchins make ulva worse because they farm it by attaching it to themselves.

Tuxedo urchins make ulva worse because they farm it by attaching it to themselves.
That's incredible!

So I've been having an outbreak of lettuce algae in the tank. I've tried manual removal/scraping, but nothing seems to be eating it (including a sea hare I purchased and tried out) and it keeps coming back. Any tips (that don't include vibrant, since I have chaeto?)
If penicil urchins eat it I've got one to two that you can have.

Back