High Tide Aquatics

Gimmito's 450 gal L-shaped tank

Tony,

Even with 2 dedicated 20amp circuits ? Any experience w/the coralvue ballast ?
I like the idea of uv on the frag tank though.
Mike suggested having the option of keeping the ft online or offline.
Eventually, I'm thinking of employing ozone on the main display.

Jim

p.s.

If you're ever in millbrae feel free to swing by.

cell 650-784-6900

e490169383fa401580adef313327f295

Gen came over the other day and made some covers for the top of the overflows. :)

9dc8db9448ae496fb969579eb3e42430

Right side of hood. I was thinking of mounting an adjustable pulley system for the reflectors...any suggestions ?
I also was thinking of lining the interior w/laminate for wipe down ability.

Hi Jim,

Beautiful tank.

I have 3 50G water tanks in the garage (they were used to hold vinegar and were prettyt cheap, bought in San Meteo a long time ago. Stay away from the containers for oil since they will be very difficult to clean). I use one tank to hold RO/DI, one tank for mixing and extra salterwater holder, and the third one for RO/DI water. First container has a pump to pump water into the second one. The second tank has a pump plumped to mix saltwater and/or pump water into the third container. I use two Litermeter III pumps for water change, and they are calibrated to pump out the same amount of water as the water that come in. If you are not familiar with Litermeter, they basically operate 150 times a day to achieve the total amount set to it. Even though the pumps do not operate continously, it is continous enough that people call this continous water change :). As a result, you might loose up to 21% of unused water. To save all the back breaking labor with this little cost, I think it is all worth it. Moreover, it introduces no temperature/chemistry swing since everything is pumped in/out slowly, your fish/coral will not suffer because you get busy and cannot change the water, and you will not mess up your beautiful floor because of the water spill. I think if I did not have the auto water changed, I probably have already burnt myself out by this hobby.

My house have crowspace, so I plumbed everything from garage to the tank udner the house. I used 1/4" lines since this is the line used on the pump under the house. If I was to do it again, I probably will use 3/8" line instead since 1/4" line get clogged by calcium deposit pretty easily, and it is a pain to remember running vinegar every half a year to prevent the lines from clogging.

Tong

Tong,

Thanks for the compliment and description of your water change system. I am very intrigued by the constant water change system, I know some folks take into account the skimmer waste as part of the continous water change. On a large skimmer like the one I will have I think could get a gallon a day easily (skimming wet).

You probably don't remember, but I met you a couple of years ago and your tank insired me to build my "dream tank". If you have any other advice on equipment, build, etc. please let me know. If you're ever in millbrae please swing on by.

Best,

Jim

daa1bd37f79146d38ae69bca6765b8e2

Pic of 5" vent for the tank. I was thinking of using a panasonic 800 cfm whisper quite fan to vent the rear and adding 2 ice cap fans to vent the hood. Any thoughts ?

Comment... double check the "whisper" that it claims before hooking it all up to the walls. That being said, what exactly are you venting? A whole room or just a canopy? Might be overkill for a canopy.

sfsuphysics said:
Comment... double check the "whisper" that it claims before hooking it all up to the walls. That being said, what exactly are you venting? A whole room or just a canopy? Might be overkill for a canopy.

Mike,

I actually have 5 whisper quite fans throughout the house (3 baths, 1 media closet, & 1 water closet). The funny thing is the whisperlite in the water closet is the loudest one...go and figure. I'm not sure if its how it's vented because they all are 800 cfm. The fan for the back of the tank is not just the hood, but the whole back of the tank and below it...hope that makes sense.

Elite said:
800 cfm is a lot of air. It's only 5"??

Phong,

The 5" duct is the diameter of the duct... I used that throughout the house for much larger rooms. I will be using double wall ducting..my only concern is rust in the future. :(

I wonder if I could spray it with rustoleum or something ??

8f4fb7f36d2f4eb3961307fba6b88d50

I started another thread for a 60 gal prop tank I bought yesterday.
I thought I'd post some shots here anyways.
Let me know what you guys recommend for equipment.

I bought a H&S A100/F2000 skimmer and a vortech mp40 gen2 pump .
I hope to make a sump out of a 20 gal long or 40 breeder.
Anybody know if Kinetic sold his aquatinic 48" MH/T5 pendant ?

I'll post some pic's when I get the stuff.

Back