Cali Kid Corals

Gold bar Clown Fish Question

My LFS is selling paired Maroon clowns (gold Bar) I have one rose anemone that I want to host the fish with. My question is, is two gold bars with one host a bad idea, or two gold bar's in genneral. I know the fish can be aggressive that is why I am confused on why there selling them paired. Anyone have any experience?

Clowns in general live either alone or in pairs. What you are probably looking at is a mated pair. They will live together but you cannot have anymore clowns. As far as having one anemone. It depends on the female clown (bigger of the two). She may or may not allow the male in but this is assuming they even decide to host the anemone. This isn't really a problem if she doesnt let him in. He will submit to her will and just hang out around the tank.

From my understanding doesn't the maroon host with the rose bubble 99% of the time. So at least the female will host it right? And What if the annenome splits will the female typically let the male host in the other just not hers?

A_Lee said:
Contraband629 said:
Clowns in general live either alone or in pairs. What you are probably looking at is a mated pair. They will live together but you cannot have anymore clowns. As far as having one anemone. It depends on the female clown (bigger of the two). She may or may not allow the male in but this is assuming they even decide to host the anemone. This isn't really a problem if she doesnt let him in. He will submit to her will and just hang out around the tank.

Actually IIRC, many species of clownfish live in groups in anemones, not solely as pairs and such :) Also, it may not be a mated pair quite yet (unless you see them laying eggs. It could very well be just a bonded pair. Big difference IMO, as this can affect price significantly. It is not uncommon for clowns are sold as either bonded, or mated pairs.
Females do tend to wear the pants in the relationship, and keep the male in a submissive position most times. She will reassert her dominance from time to time, which is normal. How big are the maroon clowns, and how big is the anemone when fully opened? You want to be sure that the anemone can physically accommodate the clownfish. If the anemone is too small it is very possible for the maroon, or maroons to pummel the anemone to death. Maroons do have the tendency to go straight into BTA's as they naturally occur in this manner, though it is never really quite guaranteed it will happen (immediately anyways).

The annenome is about 4" across fully expanded. The clowns are two different sizes. one bigger that the other. I would guess the bigger is 2-2.5" the other is MAYBE and inch. The pair is selling for 120.00 I think??? cant remember.

Ditto contraband on the price, and ditto Anthony re: the information. Also be aware that having maroons may very well mean you can't have any other FISH in the tank (not just clowns) depending on the size of the tank. I know of some maroons that have taken over 30g tanks and refused to tolerate any other reef-safe fish in the tank, while others have had a pair in a 24g tank with several other small community fish. It varies from fish to fish.

As far as the clowns beating the anemone to death, yours is on the small size of what I personally would feel comfortable with, but to each their own.

Contraband629 said:

Actually IIRC, many species of clownfish live in groups in anemones, not solely as pairs and such :) Also, it may not be a mated pair quite yet (unless you see them laying eggs. It could very well be just a bonded pair. Big difference IMO, as this can affect price significantly. It is not uncommon for clowns to be sold as either bonded, or mated pairs.
Females do tend to wear the pants in the relationship, and keep the male in a submissive position most times. She will reassert her dominance from time to time, which is normal. How big are the maroon clowns, and how big is the anemone when fully opened? You want to be sure that the anemone can physically accommodate the clownfish. If the anemone is too small it is very possible for the maroon, or maroons to pummel the anemone to death. Maroons do have the tendency to go straight into BTA's as they naturally occur in this manner, though it is never really quite guaranteed it will happen (immediately anyways).

And dont forget how large the Maroons will get too! MY female is about 5inches! And they still are not laying eggs. (frustrating!). I'd shy away from the maroons as they terrorized my 180 gallon and killed many corals from the constant sand mess that they made.

phishphood said:
Also be aware that having maroons may very well mean you can't have any other FISH in the tank (not just clowns) depending on the size of the tank. I know of some maroons that have taken over 30g tanks and refused to tolerate any other reef-safe fish in the tank, while others have had a pair in a 24g tank with several other small community fish. It varies from fish to fish.

I would have to agree with phishphood. Maroons can become very territorial especially if it's hosting in an anemone. If you put your hand anywhere within a foot of the anemone be prepared to get nipped.

nanoguy said:
phishphood said:
Also be aware that having maroons may very well mean you can't have any other FISH in the tank (not just clowns) depending on the size of the tank. I know of some maroons that have taken over 30g tanks and refused to tolerate any other reef-safe fish in the tank, while others have had a pair in a 24g tank with several other small community fish. It varies from fish to fish.

I would have to agree with phishphood. Maroons can become very territorial especially if it's hosting in an anemone. If you put your hand anywhere within a foot of the anemone be prepared to get nipped.

and BLEED.

:bigsmile:

I might be better off going with a smaller individual and not keeping 2? and secondly because of territory issues if I have a smaller clown if I a add another fish later ( i want a purple tang) which is much bigger would the smaller clown still attack it?

It's not about keeping one individual or keeping two. Maroons in general are very aggressive but it also depends on the fish. To answer your question about if the maroon will attack the tang, it depends on the maroon. But consider this, there are maroons that will attack you when you reach into the tank and you are significantly bigger than the tang.

Agree with Maroons being aggressive and a PITA in general in a reef tank. mine is probably only 3" and it picks on all of the other fish in my tank at some point during the day. Even those that ar 4x its size.

If it weren't for it being my wife's favorite fish (the big bitch she calls it), it wouldn't be in my tank.

They are extremely territorial, to the extent that they will knock corals over that you may try to place in "their space" if they aren't glues down very well. If you happen to have a sandbed, don't be surprised to see it stirring it up to create a little crater either.

Back