got ethical husbandry?

Gomer's frag tank

lol. Maybe. the macros in the tank of any "mass" is chaeto and what looks to be "Maiden's hair"
http://www.melevsreef.com/id/other/maidens_hair.jpg

..oh, and a 2" roundish rock covered in Neomeris annulata

There was an odd thing though. My tank has algae..a fair bit (don't judge! Tongue)...and it looked like this one type of algae exploded and grew super super fast over the period all over. ...and then partially died (went white on most of it).

That sounds like an asexual event. MH is known for doing this.

Just having fun with the new pano stitching software. All sorts of SPS. many I know the name of, a few I don't. Most doing fine and a few are...staying brown and a little stunted
1) pretend the algae is beautiful and intended
2) yes, the frag rack is bowing that much lol
3) In retaliation for my pruning, Norm's Prostrata will cover the entire frag rack before it sends up a new branch

SPSpano-1.jpg

It's an opensource software. I run it on a Mac, but there is likely a PC version on SourceForge.

Software is called Huggin if I remember correctly. There is a plugging you want to get to improve the stitching. It came with image I downloaded from SF, but was a seperate manual install. I forget the name.
Takes a tad to get used to, but works amazingly well.

The "floor" post I have...the underground photo is 7 images stitched. the one above is 12 images shot with a 100mm MACRO lens....just imaging the full image resolution ;) It's quite amazing!

I got tired of looking at the fugly frag tank (and my wife kept reminding me that it was fugly...) so I spent the day (I still have a lot to clean up) converting to something a bit prettier. I have way too many corals in this tank but that will change as I thin out the hard over time. I still have some more coral in a 14g that I need to squeeze in here as well..that will be interesting. The lighting is intentionally offset. I have a lot of LPS and chalices on the shadowed section. SPS in the blazing light.

40grescape101709.jpg

While removing the old frag rack and rock* I noticed what I suspected was stunting my coral growth. Despite having a ton of flow on top (koralia 2 and MP40), under the rack, things were slowly stirred. As a result, there was a ton of detritus.

* I used almost all new rock for the new tank except for some seed pieces hidden in the back. The new rock was dry rock which was seeded and cured for a few weeks.

Almost a month later. Finally managed to use a pry bar and hammer to get all the coral in there from the 40g frag tank and the "no more" 14g. I'll obviously have to remove some stuff as coral grows out, but for now it'll do :)

11110940g.jpg

glee said:
nice looking rock! what type is it?

+1 on the rocks / rock work.

Pretty plates too. :glasses:

Very nice: I still have those 2 tanks in the garage, lighting and pumps too that are beckoning and destine to be frag tanks.

You're quite an inspiration.

R.K.

The bright orange thing is a scoly (the dark thing in front of ot is a small court jester goby).

The rock is this stuff: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-pukani-dry-aquarium-eco-rock.html
I ordered it when BRS had the free shipping special :) I got what was in the photo a couple other pieces the size of a cantalope and another very large piece which is about the size of the large piece in the tank on the left (but different shape). All that was a 50lb order. In the tank, there is 5 pieces of rock.

why isnt that scoly in your display? it's so colorful. do you plan to frag it? - hence frag tank....

thanks for the rock link. i'll have to consider the pukani if i get a new tank....

no :) The 40g was a frag tank and it is now converted to a display. The scoly was in the biocube and is now in the 40g. The thread title may be misleading..this tank just evolved.

Back