High Tide Aquatics

Good looking Acropora under blues lighting

What are the best looking Acropora under blue lighting, I plan to keep my tank with heavy blues. I notice that colors like yellow and orange seems to stand out. What Acropora should I try to get for this lighting?

thanks,

Image of my settings.

1636488522689.png

Last edited:
Heh usually people ask the question the other way around with "what acros look good under white lighting?" I'd say almost anything can look good under heavy blues, except maybe very blue acros like the oregon tort which will just blend in with the lighting.

Heh usually people ask the question the other way around with "what acros look good under white lighting?" I'd say almost anything can look good under heavy blues, except maybe very blue acros like the oregon tort which will just blend in with the lighting.

For example, my hellfire torch looks really nice but the new york knicks don't look as stunning .

If your lights can do it, I’m happy with a spectrum that changes slowly throughout the day. Heavily blue in the morning and evening, whiter midday. Mostly because different coral, fish, etc look better under different lightning.

My understanding is that if you are using Kessil you will get the spectrum corals need regardless of appearance of the color if you stay in the preselected range. The other brands make it too easy to pick a spectrum that doesn’t work as well but there are expert-picked blue spectrums out there to use if you want.

As far as your actual question, basically anything with fluorescence and that is advertised with blue pics online, which includes basically everything that is expensive. In person, some stores will mess with the spectrum temporarily to show you if you want. There are too many good choices to list them all or give more specific guidelines.

A lot to consider, thanks for all the info. My tank is in a happy place and it sounds like it may need a lot of changes to be successful at SPS. I’ll probably take it slowly and add a little white while increasing the PAR until the current corals adjust and revisit SPS later and start off with easier ones.

Last edited:
A lot to consider, thanks for all the info. My tank is in a happy place and it sounds like it may need a lot of changes to be successful at SPS. I’ll probably take it slowly and add a little while increasing the PAR until the current corals adjust and revisit SPS later and start off with easier ones.
It might work. Not saying don’t try. Maybe try with cheaper aquaculture acros first.

If your lights can do it, I’m happy with a spectrum that changes slowly throughout the day. Heavily blue in the morning and evening, whiter midday. Mostly because different coral, fish, etc look better under different lightning.

My understanding is that if you are using Kessil you will get the spectrum corals need regardless of appearance of the color if you stay in the preselected range. The other brands make it too easy to pick a spectrum that doesn’t work as well but there are expert-picked blue spectrums out there to use if you want.

As far as your actual question, basically anything with fluorescence and that is advertised with blue pics online, which includes basically everything that is expensive. In person, some stores will mess with the spectrum temporarily to show you if you want. There are too many good choices to list them all or give more specific guidelines.
Had some time to think about this and I think it might work. With the Radions I can choose the specific spectrum of light at different intervals during the day.

I can add the whites, red and greens during the day when I am not home and after 6pm have 4hrs of blues. I can try this out while slowly raising PAR and figure out by then if I have enough PAR and white light exposure for SPS.

Back