High Tide Aquatics

Green bubble ALGAE

2 months after moving my tank I have more and more of it. What is the latest on control of green bubble algae?
I never had it multiply so fast.

Manual removal did the trick for me. Very time consuming but it works. It got so bad that I had to take out the rocks and scrubbed them with a brush.

I've only had luck with manual removal which puts a dent in it but unless you can scrub all rocks it will be back. I've heard of some foxfaces eating it but I've had 3 and not 1 has touched it. :(

Take a air line tube and siphon water in a bucket. Use the tube to suck out the algae that is small enough or the juice from a larger one that may pop when you manually remove it.

Fwiw the liquid in them reallt isnt where the spores are found... they are in the flesh of the alga.

I have a couple bubble algae in my tank but manual removal is pretty ez and it's not out of control. You guys haven't had any issues with the foxface nipping at corals?

They are known for hitting LPS, softies and polyps (zoanthids, mushrooms, etc). Mine never has either but I know people that have the opposite luck nearly every time they try.

Not really worried about the spores, just removing all the algae. I don't thing natural salt water is inside those buggers. Rather it out than in. Plus when you pop them, bits can float around. I remove all algae in my tank via a siphon so that is just my method. If my Dyson worked in the tank, I'd use that.

Its mainly saltwater... I spoke with q phycologist about this a couole weeks ago.

GreshamH said:
They are known for hitting LPS, softies and polyps (zoanthids, mushrooms, etc). Mine never has either but I know people that have the opposite luck nearly every time they try.

Model citizens for me too. I would not have a tank without one.

CookieJar said:
never had a foxface nip corals, or bubble algae. All they eat for me is hair algae and added food.

I had to remove one from my tank recently that LOVED to eat staghorn corals, I've also witnessed them macking on Zoa/Palys too. Like people, fish seem to like different things I guess, depending on who they are :D

Back