High Tide Aquatics

Green Plate monti is fading????

My green plate is fading in color. It was a dark green now it is a pale green. It continues to show good growth and has great PE all day long. I thought bleaching but it came from a 12 gallon tank with 150 MH to a 90 gallon with T5. Could it really be bleaching? The coral has been in this tank since march 1st, but just now showing signs of fading. What could be causing it?

When ever you post such a thread give us your water parameters to save us asking for them :)

Sounds like low alk? PH spike? Gimme more to go on /

Reefdad said:
Sorry :X As of Wednesday when I tested ph 8.3 Dkh 10, ca 450, Sg 1.023 P04 0.5, nitrate/nitrite 0 ammonia 0.

I would push your salinity to reef levels myself, 1.0261 (35ppt). At 1.023 a DKH of 10 and a CA of 450 you mag has to be really low. The ratio is skewed. Have you tested the MAG? I find MAG to be crucial. CA is less critical then MG IMO as low CA doesn't harm much, only slows gorwth. Low MG will lead to numerous problems.

something isn't right then. How can you have near perfect levels when your salinity is low? What kits are you using? You using a refract? When and how did you last calibrate it?

Look at it this way. At 1.023 you can only shove some much CA/MG/ALK into it before it rises to a higher salinity. The levels you posted nearly spot on for 1.0261.

Back