Jestersix

Hana Phosphate Meter- opinions?

It may have only been for the alkalinity unit, but I saw a post some place talking about it... Reef Builders maybe?

JAR said:
I was surprised because of two things.
My cuvettes had minor scratches but also...
There is a noticeable fingerprint on the inside of the LCD lens.
Fingerprints shouldn't be there, but still not too bad since the prints are there for zeroing as well as testing.

The scratches and scuffs are an issue if using different cuvettes for samples with and without reagent.

I'm using the horizontal scratches to orient the cuvettes in the tester :D

I should see if the other flaws make a difference in the readings between the cuvettes.

Might post on the Hanna RC forum to see if I can get the cuvettes replaced. From their similarity, the horizontal scratches look like a manufacturing defect. Surprising they let that get through. For spectrophotometers and colorimeters, it's all about cuvettes and technique.

GreshamH said:
It may have only been for the alkalinity unit, but I saw a post some place talking about it... Reef Builders maybe?
Ugh, you're gonna make me read Reefbuilders.

I had seen about some updating to the alk kit. Liquid reagent, and free upgrades.

The alk kit has new curvettes and a liquid reagent. The liquid reagent is so much faster to mix. I hope they can do the same for the phosphate test.

What differences, if any, can you tell between the old and new cuvettes?

Just posted on the Hanna RC forum asking about getting replacements.

One of my cuvettes also has a deep scratch along the circumference near the bottom as well.

Mr. Ugly said:
What differences, if any, can you tell between the old and new cuvettes?

Just posted on the Hanna RC forum asking about getting replacements.

One of my cuvettes also has a deep scratch along the circumference near the bottom as well.

The curvettes were replaced by Hanna because the original ones they shipped with the alk kit were leaking. The new ones do not leak.

I got my checker back from hanna today. First the good news, they sent me a packet of 25 regents! very nice. The bad news, same long scratch running down one of the vials that norm reported. Hey Norm, I saw your post on RC in the hanna forum, what did they say?

And the results are in: .06ppm PO4 :(

r0ck0 said:
Hey Norm, I saw your post on RC in the hanna forum, what did they say?
The Hanna rep said to work with the distributor(Amazon.com) for replacements, and to let them know if there are problems.

So I'm returning the whole kit to Amazon for replacement.

I would have preferred if they just sent me 2 good cuvettes. There's a reasonable chance that the replacement kit will have scratched cuvettes if nothing has been done to change the manufacturing/packaging process.

Mr. Ugly said:
r0ck0 said:
Hey Norm, I saw your post on RC in the hanna forum, what did they say?
The Hanna rep said to work with the distributor(Amazon.com) for replacements, and to let them know if there are problems.

So I'm returning the whole kit to Amazon for replacement.

I would have preferred if they just sent me 2 good cuvettes. There's a reasonable chance that the replacement kit will have scratched cuvettes if nothing has been done to change the manufacturing/packaging process.

Thats pretty weak support. At least I got one good one to use. I will call them monday and see what they say, dont really care if they replace it but they should be aware of the issue. It must be a big problem if I got a scratched cuvette too, what are the odds?

Yep, that's how I see it.

It's sad that companies can do poorly at addressing systemic quality control issues.

I had one situation where a vendor sent me like 4 different sets of brake pads because the manufacturing problem that was supposedly addressed over a year prior hadn't been.

Oh well, I'm totally not surprised.

My replacement kit arrived today.

And....

The cuvettes in the replacement kit are worse than the original ones.

I hope they don't expect me to keep exchanging kits until I get one with proper cuvettes.

Seems like a case of you get what you pay for :( If this was on their higher end model it would surprise me, but since this is on their very low end models, meh, par for the course.

Pretty sure Hanna is like Omega anyways (they don't actually make anything themselves)

Well, it's not that hard to provide decent cuvettes.

I can see if they made cheap testers, but cuvettes are pretty generic.

Trying to post on the RC Hanna forum right now. RC is ridiculously lagged.

GreshamH said:
Pretty sure Hanna is like Omega anyways (they don't actually make anything themselves)
True, but at least do some proper quality control on the stuff you get from your suppliers.

Same like Ford or Toyota. Lots of their car parts are made for them by others.

Mr. Ugly said:
GreshamH said:
True, but at least do some proper quality control on the stuff you get from your suppliers.

Same like Ford or Toyota. Lots of their car parts are made for them by others.

Ever see a Ford or Toyota sell for $50 new? Sorry but you are comparing an item that has a much higher ROI for the company. What you bought is a throw away Chinese made item and you want high end QA on it. Pay top dollar and get top dollar. Pay nothing, get nothing. Not sure why you think you should get a gold standard for a copper penny ;)

They probably make less then $10 on that thing.

It's also pretty clear from their reply to you how they view the product.

Why bother selling a kit if you're going to supply scratched and scuffed cuvettes?

Even their directions say to make sure not to scratch the cuvettes.

When doing spectrophotometry/colorimetry, the most basic things about proper lab technique relate to the cuvettes. If the cuvettes are damaged, dirty, not consistently oriented, then nothing else really matters.

GreshamH said:
It's also pretty clear from their reply to you how they view the product.
I don't get that from their reply.

They told me to work with Amazon to get a replacement and that Amazon has great customer service, and to let them(Hanna) know if I have other questions or problems.

To me, that is an ok customer service response. Not the best, but reasonable if you are treating the problem as a fluke. Presumably the replacement kit would be good.

A company with great customer service would check for process problems if seeing multiple examples of the same issue. And would investigate and correct them so that the customer would get taken care of properly the first time.

"Waitress, this toast is burnt!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'll get you some more right away."

"Great, just what I want. More burnt toast."

Back