Our mission

Has anyone else in San Francisco had water problems with their tank

Hi,
My tank has taken a real nose dive the last 3 weeks. I've tested all the parameters of my tank and everything is normal. But for some reason my corals are recessed and starting to die. My neighbor has been having similar problems. We both use tap water and "Prime" to dechlorinate it. I was thinking that maybe its something in the water or maybe SF is using a new chemical to treat their water.

Let me know if you're experiencing similar problems.

You guys and your tap water. They say sf water is good, but infrastructure is old and mine is certainly kinda gross as far as sediment in my opinion. You guys should switch to Rodi, I'll hook you up...
Sorry to hear the problems

Mike,
I would love a hookup for an RODI. The one I have kind of sucks (Its a mighty mite). I do like it though because I can connect it to my sink and then disconnect it and put it away when I'm done. What do you got? And how much?
Patrick

Lol, I have a spare mighty mite, but I have 100-200 gal fresh water and 100 gal mixed salinity just about always, and I'd be willing to roll down the hill with water for you guys is what I meant. We could work out a fair deal I bet?

Haven't noticed any recent changes w/ tap+prime.

I have more problems in the tank that's using RODI water - Random chalice tissue recession. It was very strange.. Didn't occur in all chalices, no common placement/light, no common 'type' of chalice. Flesh was just sloughing off. Dipped the affected chalices 4x in Coral Rx/TMPCC and the recession seems to have stopped. A long while ago (IIRC), I remember a thread discussing something like a 'seasonal sickness'/infection of chalices.

I use a Filterguyz 5 stage RODI and connect it to my kitchen when needed and disconnect and put away when not it use. walked away from Tap water ages ago due to all issues I was getting due to tap.

Kensington Reefer said:
Patrick
I use Koldsteril from poly bio marine...no waste water.

+1....and then I run it through kati/ani resins. No waste water and the resins are regenerable.

It's a hunch, but try testing for ammonia.

gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Patrick

+1....and then I run it through kati/ani resins. No waste water and the resins are regenerable.
Do you regenerate them? I know it's some nasty stuff that you regenerate with, I've already have scars from my fish tank due to bacterial issues, last thing I want is chemical burns! :D

Patrick BTW, haven't had any issues with water... but then again I like to just attribute any coral issues to my own laziness :D
I run the water through a 3 stage prefilter, 2 75gpd RO membranes run in series to reduce waste water, and about 4 DI chambers (for the earlier mentioned laziness... hopefully after a couple change color I'll notice them and change them out), also I run a pressure boosting pump on the whole thing since water pressure is less than ideal up on the hill.

sfsuphysics said:
gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Patrick

Do you regenerate them? I know it's some nasty stuff that you regenerate with, I've already have scars from my fish tank due to bacterial issues, last thing I want is chemical burns! :D

Patrick BTW, haven't had any issues with water... but then again I like to just attribute any coral issues to my own laziness :D
I run the water through a 3 stage prefilter, 2 75gpd RO membranes run in series to reduce waste water, and about 4 DI chambers (for the earlier mentioned laziness... hopefully after a couple change color I'll notice them and change them out), also I run a pressure boosting pump on the whole thing since water pressure is less than ideal up on the hill.

Mike,

I do regenerate the resins with muriatic acid and sodium chloride. The chemicals are diluted in a 5 gallon carboy and slowly passed through the resins (45 minutes) and then flushed. It's super easy and cost effective to run compared to typical RO/DI IMHO.

Back