Kessil

Heater Recommendation

Heard a loud pop noise, almost like a furnace blew out, no joke, it was loud. Luckily I was WFH and immediately turned off all the pumps. Checked the sump and found that heater capped popped off the top of the heater. Happened to me twice over the last 8 years, the second time happened today. Also lucky that the glass didn't shatter. Anyone have a recommendation on what brand heater to get or what's reliable? Also, how often do you replace your heaters?

Last edited:
I recommend Cobalt NeoTherm. Expensive but worth it.

i just had a 100w version blow on me about 4 weeks ago. Otherwise I’ve used those quite a bit. I’ll hesitate to buy another one but you’ll hear stories of every brand blowing up.

I got an aquatop titanium 100 or 200w. I’ve had it almost a year and haven’t had issues. It has an inline controller but I have it controlled by the GHL. It was recommended to me by Robert from Neptune aquatics

That’s why I keep my eyes on the apex. But it’s unlikely for the temp probe to crap out than ph/salinity probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run dual JBJ 150 titanium backed up through Apex, and in winter add another separate one.

* I HAVE had one fail. Simply stopped working.

High wattage heaters and glass heaters make me nervous.

That’s why I keep my eyes on the apex. But it’s unlikely for the temp probe to crap out than ph/salinity probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just a heads up
6cdaf9f33e3adfd8a0bb969192c2e6ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I run a BRS controller with two heaters that is also backed up by the apex. This is full redundancy since I have two ways to turn it off controlled by two different temp probes.

I run a BRS controller with two heaters that is also backed up by the apex. This is full redundancy since I have two ways to turn it off controlled by two different temp probes.
I recently connected my inkbird to my apex for redundancy. I think solely relying on apex is kinda scary.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back