Our mission

Heater sizing

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hey all, I bought 2 eheim 150 watt heaters rated for 79 gallons. Is this enough heat for a 150 gallon tank? My thinking is that 2 150 watt heaters would be the same as a 300 watt heater. Thanks!

My understanding is the trade off is with two you have twice as many failure points, but if one fails it's likely less catastrophic and therefore two is preferable. A small one failing on will take twice as long to cook your tank. A small one failing off will have a second one to try and keep the temp up.

I assume if you stagger the temps slightly it also would help in that a smaller heater would stay on longer, decreasing the number of on/off cycles.

The ideal being something like two attached to an inkbird which gives you a 3rd backup, but also a 3rd failure point. Though again that failure point doesn't involve it having a heater jammed into the same tube as the temp gauge, so again should be a more reliable system.

For a 150
3watts per gal recommended
I would use either a 500 watt titanium or few smaller submersibles
Regardless
I recommend some form of external controller as the thermostat

Depends upon how cold the room the tank in is. If you keep it inside your house and you're one of those who keeps your house at 75, then yeah not much heating needed, if you keep your tank (or sump) in an uninsulated garage then you'll need more heating in the winter.

General rule of thumb I learned (heard about) was 1 watt per gallon per 5 degrees below ambient. So if your 80 gallon tank is in a room that is 70°F normally and you want to keep it at 80°, 80 gallons x 1 watt/gallon x 10°/5° = 150 x 1 x 2 = 300 watts of heating. If the room is normally 65 degrees, then 150 x 1 x 3 = 450 watts. Of course if the tank has a relatively large surface area to volume (e.g. frag tanks) then that number jumps up even more. Now my situation I literally never set the house thermostat to 70°, only when it's really hot (rarely) does it ever get that high in here, so if it were me I'd do what KR said, a 500 watt titanium, or a couple 300 watt titaniums

Back