Cali Kid Corals

Hello from Maine

Hi Everyone,

Nate here. Been reefing in New England for about 6 years. About to graduate college in Oceanography. Right now I have a Deep Blue Professional 60 Cube. My girlfriend just got a killer job in Martinez and I will be following her out there in a few months.

Big question I have is: Is it safe for me to have my glass aquarium in the San Francisco Bay area? I've studied a fair bit of plate tectonics but my experience with it is quite limited. We had a little one here in Maine last year. Felt like the washing machine needed balancing...was the talk of the town around here haha

Welcome to the bay area!

No worries. We do shake, rattle and roll occasionally, but why let that stop you! Many glass tanks out here.

Welcome!
Glass tanks are ok. Weak flimsy stands are the problem.
Funny: There is still an ongoing debate as to whether or not you should bolt glass tank stands to wall studs.

Heyyy that's all good to hear. I'm at UNE in Biddeford, ME. I built the stand myself out of poplar and faced with oak ply...pretty solid

IMAG1086_zpsae3f798e.jpg
IMAG0392_zps89dbb567.jpg

Thank you all for you comfort! It will definitely be coming with me ;)

Few shots of the undercarriage. Herbie drain. 1" return bulkhead is drilled in the back of the overflow. Goes to 3/4" loc line then 1/2" Y to 1/2" circle flow. Diablo dc5500 return(on 4 of 6). Sea side aquatics es5 skimmer and avast mr5 bp reactor with nozzle-fed by return. 2 ato chambers are drilled at bottom with 1/2" bulkheads-goes to submerged float valve to maintain siphon to get up and over the top of the sump i built. Left ato chamber is shorter from front to back as its equipt with float valve for future rodi hookup. Right now I fill from a 5 gallon pales
IMAG1104_zpse85b4b91.jpg

IMAG0983_zps54ad27df.jpg

Severl months ago with the old controller:
IMAG0737_zps6ff97deb.jpg

IMAG0733_zps3fcf9b2a.jpg

Back