got ethical husbandry?

Hello...

Murph

Supporting Member
Hi all. My name is Brian or you can call me Murph. I live in Vallejo, work in Mill Valley, Bay Area native.

I had years of experience with freshwater in the 90's but saltwater is new to me. My daughter (6) mentioned to my wife she loved seahorses and how cool it would be to have them as pets. When my wife told me this I mentioned how I'd always wanted to keep seahorses... and so we got an empty glass box and a hefty credit card balance for Christmas :oops:. (Well, there was a stuffed animal seahorse for my daughter too)

I picked up a used Red Sea Reefer 170 in Vallejo (tank, stand, and sump) and various pieces in various places. My tank is in the process of cycling now and hoping to have a pair of seahorses by the end of March.

Welcome to BAR @Murph ! I have a 10yo daughter that enjoys the hobby with me. She's been really excited about eventually getting some seahorses. I'm looking forward to see your tank up and running with some seahorses. She's enjoy seeing the pictures. If you get a chance, go visit @under_water_ninja at High Tide Aquatics and check out his seahorses. He's got an amazing paludarium setup with mangroves. I bet your daughter would love it. I'm sure he would be a wealth of wisdom for you before you dive head first.

Hi all. My name is Brian or you can call me Murph. I live in Vallejo, work in Mill Valley, Bay Area native.

I had years of experience with freshwater in the 90's but saltwater is new to me. My daughter (6) mentioned to my wife she loved seahorses and how cool it would be to have them as pets. When my wife told me this I mentioned how I'd always wanted to keep seahorses... and so we got an empty glass box and a hefty credit card balance for Christmas :oops:. (Well, there was a stuffed animal seahorse for my daughter too)

I picked up a used Red Sea Reefer 170 in Vallejo (tank, stand, and sump) and various pieces in various places. My tank is in the process of cycling now and hoping to have a pair of seahorses by the end of March.
Welcome to the club!

Kenny (@under_water_ninja ) at High Tide Aquatics in Oakland actually has a beautiful tank with some seahorses in it you should check out!

Welcome @Murph ! Thank you for becoming a supporting member. Looking forward to your tank journal.

Saltwater is a challenge, seahorses are a slightly different challenge, so definitely do lots of reading and we'll be happy to answer what we can.

Felicia McCaulley is someone to look up for seahorse info. Here's a good talk:

Thanks for the welcome all :)

Sounds like a trip to Oakland is in my immediate future!

@Twisted I'll post some pics soon!
@Coral reefer At least 2 times and I'll get a chiller this summer if I have to.
@Kensington Reefer I work at The Urban Farmer Store (for 20 years this April o_O), an irrigation supply store.
@ReyDeFarts Stay tuned for pics. I've also got an 11yo who is starting to show an interest in the mechanics as well as the chemistry as I test the water
@Darkxerox Sooooo much reading and thanks for the video link!

Stay tuned for pics. I've also got an 11yo who is starting to show an interest in the mechanics as well as the chemistry as I test the water
Mine just wants to observe the animals and feed them. The maintenance and chemistry...not so much! LOL. But she understands the logic of most it, the best I can teach it with my level of ignorance. She's in homeschooling so everything becomes a learning opportunity. We'll be setting up another mantis shrimp tank soon. So she will stepping it up and helping me with maintaining that tank. She does her own water changes and maintenance on her fresh water tanks though. She's just a little intimidated with the salt water chemistry I think.

Mine just wants to observe the animals and feed them. The maintenance and chemistry...not so much! LOL. But she understands the logic of most it, the best I can teach it with my level of ignorance. She's in homeschooling so everything becomes a learning opportunity. We'll be setting up another mantis shrimp tank soon. So she will stepping it up and helping me with maintaining that tank. She does her own water changes and maintenance on her fresh water tanks though. She's just a little intimidated with the salt water chemistry I think.
Learning how to do titrations and following the test instructions as an SOP are pretty much analytical lab practicals so definitely a good experience for her!

Thanks for the welcome all :)

Sounds like a trip to Oakland is in my immediate future!

@Twisted I'll post some pics soon!
@Coral reefer At least 2 times and I'll get a chiller this summer if I have to.
@Kensington Reefer I work at The Urban Farmer Store (for 20 years this April o_O), an irrigation supply store.
@ReyDeFarts Stay tuned for pics. I've also got an 11yo who is starting to show an interest in the mechanics as well as the chemistry as I test the water
@Darkxerox Sooooo much reading and thanks for the video link!
Hey there, and thanks for becoming a supporting member! Yes please come by and check out my sea horse tank. I can get captive bred sea horses from Quality Marine, they come in very healthy. I can share all my tips and tricks for these guys. I also have a couple really good books on seahorses that you can check out at the shop, have a read on the couch in front of the sea horse tank, lol. Can help you along with your cycling process as well. Hope to meet you soon, cheers.
Kenny

Hey there, and thanks for becoming a supporting member! Yes please come by and check out my sea horse tank. I can get captive bred sea horses from Quality Marine, they come in very healthy. I can share all my tips and tricks for these guys. I also have a couple really good books on seahorses that you can check out at the shop, have a read on the couch in front of the sea horse tank, lol. Can help you along with your cycling process as well. Hope to meet you soon, cheers.
Kenny
Maybe see you next Sunday :)

Back