Jestersix

Help - Wellso is showing skeleton/dying

ghermes

Supporting Member
Anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with my Wellso? It's been in the tank since November. I am new to reefing. The tank is about 1.5 years old.

100 gal display
Salt 34 PPT
9.25 Alk
477 Cal
1314 Mag
PO4 0.29
PO3 ~8
Temp 78
PAR ~200

IMG_4669.JPG

What's your nitrates looking like in that tank? Did anything drop or it or stung it recently?
Nitrates are about 8. There was a mushroom touching it. Not sure if that can cause a problem. I moved the mushroom to another location tonight.

I would use gfo instead since nitrates at 8 is fine.
Thanks, I moved it to a new location and off of the sand bed onto a rock. Someone else mentioned their's had an issue sitting on the sand. It should also get a little less light in the new location Not familiar with gfo, but I will look into it. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about your PAR. The Wellso doesn't look bleached or suffering from excessive amount of light from the looks of it. I have some of my lps sitting in 250 PAR currently.

Your nitrates/phosphates are okay as well. While most don't run their phosphates at those levels, it isn't detrimental to LPS, especially if they're accustomed to it. Heck, there are even those that run higher levels for specific sps, mainly tenuis.

The damage is most likely due to it being stung by the mushroom more than anything. I'd just leave it alone to recover. Just make sure that you monitor the wound to make sure that it isn't affected by any sort of brown jelly syndrome/disease.

I wouldn't worry too much about your PAR. The Wellso doesn't look bleached or suffering from excessive amount of light from the looks of it. I have some of my lps sitting in 250 PAR currently.

Your nitrates/phosphates are okay as well. While most don't run their phosphates at those levels, it isn't detrimental to LPS, especially if they're accustomed to it. Heck, there are even those that run higher levels for specific sps, mainly tenuis.

The damage is most likely due to it being stung by the mushroom more than anything. I'd just leave it alone to recover. Just make sure that you monitor the wound to make sure that it isn't affected by any sort of brown jelly syndrome/disease.
Thanks, Hopefully moving the mushroom and placing the wellso on a rock will help it a bit. I noticed there were several bristle worms and a brittle star living under it when I lifted it off of the sand bed. I don't think those things are supposed to bother it, but they are no longer living under it.

Thanks, I moved it to a new location and off of the sand bed onto a rock. Someone else mentioned their's had an issue sitting on the sand. It should also get a little less light in the new location Not familiar with gfo, but I will look into it. Thanks!
Granular Ferric Oxide; basically rust.
People run a GFO reactor such as TLF.
I have a different branded reactor, free; all you have to do is pick it up in SF

Granular Ferric Oxide; basically rust.
People run a GFO reactor such as TLF.
I have a different branded reactor, free; all you have to do is pick it up in SF
Thank you for the info and offer. I think I will pass on the reactor for now. I'm going to try some GFO in a sack and see how it works. I have area in my sump where all water must pass with a nice shelf for things like carbon and GFO. I also have a reactor that I use for carbon and I may eventually toss in some GFO with the carbon. Thanks again for the offer.

@ashburn2k ...Thank you

That is a flatworm
They sneak in!
They eat your corals at night
That said, the mushroom burn didn’t help
But that flatworm is a definite suspect

Good luck
Thanks, I will do a careful check to see if I can find anything. I know there were bristle worms and brittle stars living under it, but I'll have to check into the possibly of a flatworm.

Back