Reef nutrition

Help with koi pond filtration?

My family has a large koi pond and I would like to redesign some of the filtration to make the servicing of it easier for my aging mother.

Basically, the filter I would like to replace is a DIY version of this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Danner_Pond_Kit_1250___Pondmaster_1000_Filter___Pondmaster_2_Pump_Pond_Kits~vendor~Danner~SearchStr~pond+pumps~action~view~idProduct~DN3319~idCategory~PDPK.html

However, this type of filter requires a person to get into the pond itself to take it out and clean the media. Since my mother is getting older, I was thinking that it would be much easier if the container that holds the filter media to be outside of the pond. My initial thought was to stay using a submergable pump, but have a pipe from the output pump to a box outside of the pond filled with media and have the water trickle back into the pond.

My concern is that one of the main things the filter will pick up are koi food pellets which. These are about 1/4" spherical pellets. Is there a type of pump that can handle these pellets going through it?

Any advise would be appreciated. Also if you have a totally different design that may be appropriate, Id be all ears.

Thanks!

How large is the pond?

I really like the Laguna canisters that have the built in UV, they do a great job, are mounted outside of the pond and are pretty simple to service.

You should use Strainer Baskets and an external pump. Easier to remove and service if needed.
http://www.tsekoi.com/pumps/leaftraps.html

Thanks for responding..Im not sure how largethe pond is in regards to gallons, but its BIG. There is a large Gazebo in the center, so the pond is like a 3 foot deep moat that goes around it.

There is already a large Filter that handles the majority of the filtration. The filter in which I would like to change are smaller supplemental filters that are mainly used to remove extra detritus that settle on the bottom. So I dont need anything fancy, just a way to pump waste and uneaten food from the pond floor to a filter media/strainer that easy to access.

Mainly my question is in regards to the pump. Will a submerged or external pump be ok with having the koi food pellets pass through it? And if so, do you have a brand that you would recommend?

I'd say most pumps could chop that stuff up pretty easy or it would simply pass through. What kind of pumps are we talking about?

My pops had a "small" pond (300g rubbermaid dohicky) that he tore down (when he went out and saw a heron standing in it, enjoying all the tasty morsels..)... well needless to say I grabbed his filtration stuff, which included IIRC a laguna pump and the canister w/ built in UV.. thought I might use it for the reef, but there are metal parts exposed.

I'm not sure if the bioballs are still in the filter, but if you want to give it a try, if anything to see if it'd be useful for your application (i.e. mom that can clean/service it), let me know.

Perfect. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mike, I would love to take you up on that offer. It would be cool to check out what you have and try it out to see how well it works. Ill PM you soon.

D.

Back