Kessil

Hi from Erik in SF

Greetings

My name is Erik Sayle, I am in my 40s and have been an ardent Naturalist my whole life. I even went and got a degree in Molecular Biology so I get stuff at that level pretty well. In fact I guess I have a sort of encyclopedic knowledge of anything science and nature. I am a science nerd! My user name is a play on the term Genomics (+Erik) since I used to do recruiting of bioinformatics and computational biology.

I am sort of new to Reef tho I have had some marginal salt tanks for 8 years but they were very basic. I have done more with freshwater but am sort of bored with it. I also grow Orchids (I have maybe 400) and like Vivariums as well. I want to graduate to Saltwarer stuff and do it right. Unfortunately I have a small apartment in downtown SF where I can put some stuff in my kitchen. But its on 3rd and top floor so get warm in summer and a pain to lug stuff up and down. I am thinking of a 50-100gal in the kitchen. Tho whatever I do I need to make it automated cos I like to leave town occasionally and I am not good at daily maintenanence. But I am pretty good at automation.

I have went to Anilao Philippines diving 3 times in 3 years with the last trip 2 weeks with maybe 27 hours underwater. It is EPIC diving there. Everything is in Anilao. Its where the Cal Academy of sciences gets their stuff from. If anyone is interested in epic diving let me know. I recommend planetdive.com.ph

We plan on going back to PI and do more diving but I sort of want to do reef tanks as well so I can know more about what I see diving and vica versa.

A few interests I have are possibly doing frags and corals in general as well as Cephalopods. I saw some wonderful Cuttlefish and may try to do a cuttlefish tank.

Recently at one of my job sites some space came available where I could put a large frag tank so I am thinking of building a cheap one there since its free space and cheap commercial electricity.

I could use some members to bounce ideas off of

I am in that reading alot phase right now but may start trying to buy some used stuff soon so I can get the ball rolling. Also looking to buy some used equipment as well.

Thanks,
Erik

Welcome Erik !

You might want to contact Rich (Thales) about a dedicated cuttlefish tank. Let us know if you need any assistance.

Welcome! A science based approach to tank management is encouraged and fostered here. (While keeping in mind that most of us have tanks for no other reason than aesthetic enjoyment) Glad to have another geek in the group.

As mentioned already, you should definitely talk with Rich Ross before attempted a Cephalopod tank.

Welcome.
I have a friend leading a dive trip to the Phillipines if you are interested. It's in May, I believe. Let me know if you might be interested.

Hi everyone. Thanks for saying hi.

Working on building a ~100 gal frag tank initially.

I put a few videos up on you tube from our trip to Anilao Philippines. Some pretty cool stuff i must say. I had a HD camera built in to my scuba mask!!! Worked pretty good, nice colors, pretty acurate. Thats why sometimes they are a bit wobly but they are some great corals and creatures.

There is a super cool encrusting coral in a lot of these. Similar, maybe same species.

Short vid. One of my favorite corals. What is it? (weird url, youtu.be but thats what youtube gave us.)
[youtube]fvgCLQMf5AM[/YouTube]

Similar coral, also, what is it?
[youtube]GGbss2yjG8c[/YouTube]

Red Rocks, a few minuteds at a sea mount with great diversity
[youtube]umpjNoSyXIg[/YouTube]

There are 14 videos and I have more to put up, its a bit shaky but great examples of diverse reef life in natural habitats.

Sea cucumber
[youtube]VmwR4JkAPjI[/YouTube]

Awesome dive video.
Thanks for sharing.
Is this the coral?
P1040292.jpg

looks like a monti to me.
I could be wrong though. Maybe Matt W or Rich R could ID it.

Thats what they look like for sure. I saw alot of it around, looked like little cities. Like u can see from video its pretty large and many are not connected so it must just grow nearby from spawn. I do not know alot of the names of the corals and my hope is that by growing some I will know more.

Back