Cali Kid Corals

Hi New Sucker from East Bay

So exciting and I don't even have a tank yet. I'm building my equipment and was wondering what test kits I should buy. I think I like Hanna since its my daughters name
Can you all provide input on what test kits I should start with. I found a someone selling the following all new:
New Hanna Checkers: HI-758 - HI772 - HI774 - HI781 - HI782
New Reagent: HI758-26 - HI774-25 - HI781-25 - HI782-25
Reagent expirations are 2025 Phos ULR and Nitrate HR and 2027 on Nitrate LR. Calcium Reagent expires 2024
$320
Thx
I like the Hanna alk, HR nitrate and ulr phosphorus checkers. Salifert for ammonia, nitrite, magnesium, ph and calcium is my preference.

After several days of research and cramming information I bought by tank today. I went with the Red Sea Max E170 as it gives me larger volume vs the Max Nano peninsula and the AIO gives me a little more confidence.

After several days of research and cramming information I bought by tank today. I went with the Red Sea Max E170 as it gives me larger volume vs the Max Nano peninsula and the AIO gives me a little more confidence.
Save your paperwork
You may need that warranty....
Sorry to mention, but they might have unfortunate issues
May all your water be contained!
Best fishes n happy reefing

Lots of people are extremely successful with their red sea tanks; you'll likely be very happy! Be careful when setting it up. Make sure the stand is solid, you lift it cleanly, and have it where you want it.

I also got back into the hobby with a Reefer 170 (normal, versus Max). I think it's a great tank, though mine was scratched up pretty badly when I bought it second hand.

Congrats!

I guess I will share my journey with all of you. I see the community here is cool and very helpful and hopefully if I'm successful I can pass on some of of knowledge to the next person. Very excited.
Now has anyone have any experience with Tampa Bay Salt Water. I :)

I guess I will share my journey with all of you. I see the community here is cool and very helpful and hopefully if I'm successful I can pass on some of of knowledge to the next person. Very excited.
With the help you'll get here? We'll make sure you're successful as long as you've got open ears, patience and attention to detail. The small things can make a big difference in developing a proper reef tank.

Yes, I've bought hundreds of pounds for various tanks. Awesome people, awesome rock with tons of life you wont get anywhere else.

I got a few mantis, but they were easily dealt with in the curing process. I always put that rock into holding before going into any established aquaria.

Most people use dry rock these days but I've done it both ways (pacific live rock when that was still was a thing).

I think both have merits. You will get pest hitchhikers from live rock but you'll also get cool beneficial ones. Dry rock is more sterile to start but stuff will get in off frag plugs etc over time, although less. I kinda liked the live, it was exciting to me to find surprise creatures.

You'll likely get ugly algae blooms early on no matter which rock you choose. Just expect it and be pleasantly surprised if you can avoid it.

These guys.
They claim they harvest rock and sand and ship direct from Florida. I am also looking for a 150W heater for my E170 and will probably order the Kraken top. I'm pumped up and excited!
Since Xmas always misses me its my gift to myself. :)
Heaters and return pumps are like the cardiovascular system of the tank, so don't go cheap here. Use a heater and controller + temperature probe combo (we can help you choose).

I'm old school so I've always liked true live rock, but like others said, you will have a cycle and die off of sponges plus chance of bad hitchhikers along with good, so there is a balance.

You all awesome!
I'm supposed to be working but this new adventure is driving me insane. I hear the bad things about Red Sea and also heard good stuff but I pulled the trigger so its done. The reason I went with the E170 is it allows some space to eventually add a Sump. So far have been a little intimidated with this approach but will graduate hopefully to running my own SUMP. @Darkxerox ok I will take your recommendation for this Heater+controller+Probe. I agree its a good idea and don't want to boil my fish. I also spoke to Tampa Bay Saltwater and they are telling me they don't recommend curing the rock and drooping into the tank as soon as it arrives but man its expensive. I'm thinking 40LB of sand and 50LB of rock will suffice...good?

Heaters and return pumps are like the cardiovascular system of the tank, so don't go cheap here. Use a heater and controller + temperature probe combo (we can help you choose).

I'm old school so I've always liked true live rock, but like others said, you will have a cycle and die off of sponges plus chance of bad hitchhikers along with good, so there is a balance.

TBS ships in water. I had no die off. Most my sponges thrived, albeit the ones my angels ate.

I did have a few little mantis, but they were super easy to capture in holding.

You all awesome!
I'm supposed to be working but this new adventure is driving me insane. I hear the bad things about Red Sea and also heard good stuff but I pulled the trigger so its done. The reason I went with the E170 is it allows some space to eventually add a Sump. So far have been a little intimidated with this approach but will graduate hopefully to running my own SUMP. @Darkxerox ok I will take your recommendation for this Heater+controller+Probe. I agree its a good idea and don't want to boil my fish. I also spoke to Tampa Bay Saltwater and they are telling me they don't recommend curing the rock and drooping into the tank as soon as it arrives but man its expensive. I'm thinking 40LB of sand and 50LB of rock will suffice...good?

I put mine in a holding tank to make it easier to capture the mantis, etc. If you put it straight to your display, you could have to break it down to capture the baddies. IN no way is this curing the rock though.

My recommendation for temperature controller is a Ranco with a Titanium temperature probe aka an Aqua Logic system. You can get a dual stage to control a fan and a heater or just single stage 115v that controls one heater. Then hook up a 125w Eheim Jager heater if that fits in your sump. https://aqualogicinc.com/product/digital-temperature-controllers/

Rancos are super reliable and people have been using them for decades. I've had good luck with Jagers too for the last 25 years, but every heater fails eventually. The controller protects your animals.

Lol...I just googled what is a mantis
My recommendation for temperature controller is a Ranco with a Titanium temperature probe aka an Aqua Logic system. You can get a dual stage to control a fan and a heater or just single stage 115v that controls one heater. Then hook up a 125w Eheim Jager heater if that fits in your sump. https://aqualogicinc.com/product/digital-temperature-controllers/

Rancos are super reliable and people have been using them for decades. I've had good luck with Jagers too for the last 25 years, but every heater fails eventually. The controller protects your animals.
Thank you. I understand now why a controller is so important and thank you for the recommendation. I'm trying to figure out size of heater I should fit back in the rear sump. Ok I guess now Tank( E170)+Rock (30lb- Tampa Bay)+Sand (40lb Tampa Bay)+ Temp controller ( Dual Ranko) planned.

Back