got ethical husbandry?

Hi New Sucker from East Bay

Lol...I just googled what is a mantis

Thank you. I understand now why a controller is so important and thank you for the recommendation. I'm trying to figure out size of heater I should fit back in the rear sump. Ok I guess now Tank( E170)+Rock (30lb- Tampa Bay)+Sand (40lb Tampa Bay)+ Temp controller ( Dual Ranko) planned.
You'll need a little over a foot to fit and completely submerge a 125 watt Jager heater in a chamber that never empties. That sounds like a good amount of rock and sand. You can get live sand locally if it's cheaper than shipping from Tampa Bay and I'd recommend something not "sugar gain" sized but larger like special grade so it doesn't blow around too much.

You'll need a little over a foot to fit and completely submerge a 125 watt Jager heater in a chamber that never empties. That sounds like a good amount of rock and sand. You can get live sand locally if it's cheaper than shipping from Tampa Bay and I'd recommend something not "sugar gain" sized but larger like special grade so it doesn't blow around too much.
Thank you again. The sand I see from TBS looks more coarse and see a lot of shell fragments and broken shells. They say its coming from the gulf of Mexico. So cool but $2.50 per pound and havent figured out shipping yet. My wife is telling me I'm going overboard with this an dI should slow down and get Carib sea sand and dead rock but I cant fail.

Thank you again. The sand I see from TBS looks more coarse and see a lot of shell fragments and broken shells. They say its coming from the gulf of Mexico. So cool but $2.50 per pound and havent figured out shipping yet. My wife is telling me I'm going overboard with this an dI should slow down and get Carib sea sand and dead rock but I cant fail.
She’s right

She’s right
Ok, so my biggest fear and something I know I will not be happy about is algae and all the ugliness I see in so many tanks. I asked my LFS when I purchased the tank if I should start curing my rock and he told me they have live rock and saw it in the back. By the way my LFS is Aquatic Collection and feel the guys are cool and legit and will give them my business. I told them if I fail I'm suing. :)
Anyone have experience with them?

Ok, so my biggest fear and something I know I will not be happy about is algae and all the ugliness I see in so many tanks. I asked my LFS when I purchased the tank if I should start curing my rock and he told me they have live rock and saw it in the back. By the way my LFS is Aquatic Collection and feel the guys are cool and legit and will give them my business. I told them if I fail I'm suing. :)
AC is legit
No need to sue anyone...it will probably be your own fault.

BTW, where are you located?

All the way up the hill in Hayward by Stonbrae.
You're only about 5 min away from me. Another option is starting with a mix of dry and live rock to save on costs. I may have a bag or two or carib sea fiji pink and have plenty of clean live rock I can give you a deal on and you won't have to pay shipping.

I live real close to you (5 minutes prolly). If you’re planning on adding some ceramic material for beneficial bacteria, I can swap out my nano bricks from my tank with a new set. It’ll get your tank live pretty much almost immediately.

These are the bricks I use.

I live real close to you (5 minutes prolly). If you’re planning on adding some ceramic material for beneficial bacteria, I can swap out my nano bricks from my tank with a new set. It’ll get your tank live pretty much almost immediately.

How many do you have right now? I'm planning on buying some for my 25g bare bottom tank and would love to trade for established blocks.

I can give you live sand from a tank about to come down in sf if you want

You're only about 5 min away from me. Another option is starting with a mix of dry and live rock to save on costs. I may have a bag or two or carib sea fiji pink and have plenty of clean live rock I can give you a deal on and you won't have to pay shipping.
Great, Thank you! The ETA of the tank is 2 weeks so once I decide on what I'm going I will reach out.

Thanks! What a great community its like golf. Every golfer stating understands the up's and downs and we all help one another. Looks like reefing is the same and you guys are great. I dont think I would be up to it without you. Yes, I will definitely want media but hidden and my objective is a nice tank in my office to keep me company while working
I can give you live sand from a tank about to come down in sf if you want
Thanks!, tank ETA 2 weeks.

You get the benefit of microcrustaceans like copepods if you get established rubble or media from these older tanks too so you can already see the advantages that your membership is bringing!

LOL just saw my tank drop for Black Friday by $185 but my LFS told me they will honor the new price! I also see some good black Friday deals .
So, since I need equipment I think ordering the below would be a good decision

* Python no spill
* 125w Eheim Jager heater
* RODI unit 75gal a day 6 stage
* Dual Ranco controller
* Vortech MP 10

15-30% discounts on the big national sites.

LOL just saw my tank drop for Black Friday by $185 but my LFS told me they will honor the new price! I also see some good black Friday deals .
So, since I need equipment I think ordering the below would be a good decision

* Python no spill
* 125w Eheim Jager heater
* RODI unit 75gal a day 6 stage
* Dual Ranco controller
* Vortech MP 10

15-30% discounts on the big national sites.
Excellent choices all around. Erin's advice for buckets on wheels is great, as are utility pumps to push water from that bucket into the tank so you don't have to lift anything. You'll find that taking the time to read up on what you need really will set you up for success!

I recommend picking up the refractometer that @bondolo has in this thread and any other items you might need: https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/bondolos-defunct-tanks.11021/post-473581

Back