Neptune Aquatics

Hiway Robbery the CHP way

Today my clutch gave up on I280, lucky for me I was able to pull out at the Black Mountain/Hayne Rd exit and reach the parking lot there; called my brother for a ride for my wife and kids; noticed a Call Box so I went ahead and used it, person on the line asked about the vehicle, if it was safely stopped and I asked for a tow truck to take me down to a mechanic shop off Broadway.
While waiting, a tow truck passed so I declined since I had already requested one; my brother arrived, he called his job to let them know he was to be late.
Few minutes later a flatbed truck arrived and positioned in front of my car, started the paperwork and informed me the charge was $230 an hour!! Since I had used the call box, CHP was contacted and that was the rate
WT... 15 mins and 3.5 miles; jeez!!!!!
I had to get my family to a YMCA camp down in Campbell so I had no choice...

That's to me a YES, operator did ask if I had money or a CC with me to pay for the tow but at no time I was informed the cost of the service.

$1XX a year for AAA is worth sooooo much more when the day comes and you need it. My relatives own a large towing operation in socal and it's insane how different their rates are for CHP compared to their AAA clients, seriously about 100X more expensive in some cases.

I hate AAA.
Paid for years, then had a problem with my truck... Oh .. an F350, we don't cover that....
Switched to Good Sam.

Some time ago, on the something o'clock news there was a report of "freeway assistance"; blown tires, out of gas on the freeway, car just died...
The guy doing the work said "Your tax dollars pay for it"
I would expect a take it or leave it situation from a tow truck operator that plain shows up. IMO CHP should state the cost for them to summon a tow service and be up to the stranded motorist to assume that expense.
I know AAA and some insurance companies have the road side assistance service at no extra cost for X mileage at least, I had insurance with Costco and the service was included but I switched to a more affordable company when Costco increased the premium.
I knew the clutch was in need of replacement since the summer when we went to Yosemite area for camping; I was to change it myself but I procrastinated for too long, I had in mind that driving the car in the city would be ok while I saved some money for the clutch and while at it, open the transmission and replace a pesky bearing that makes annoying noise...
Well, $230 was about the cost of the clutch and fly wheel...
Today I picked up my car from the shop in Burlingame, guy said my car makes a weird noise, I told him about the Input Shaft Bearing needing replace but since I have no money, that issue will have to be tackled another time...

Back