Kessil

HOB Overflow?

Anyone have any experience with using/plumbing an external HOB over flow? I’m thinking of converting one of my freshwater tanks into saltwater. Currently the tank is running with an FX6 canister filter but I’m considering using a HOB overflow to plumb a sump since I can’t drill into the glass. I’ve been looking into it and I see some nightmare stores of flooding so I’m not sure if I should just replace it with another setup all together that’s drilled.

Anyone have any experience with using/plumbing an external HOB over flow? I’m thinking of converting one of my freshwater tanks into saltwater. Currently the tank is running with an FX6 canister filter but I’m considering using a HOB overflow to plumb a sump since I can’t drill into the glass. I’ve been looking into it and I see some nightmare stores of flooding so I’m not sure if I should just replace it with another setup all together that’s drilled.
I have an eshopps. Ping me if you want to buy it. Single pipe.

I believe the flood stories generally don't make sense. They seem to generally be people not familiar with running a sump.

You need to make sure when it drains and the return is off, it won't overflow your sump. Given the overflows all come with an overflow box, the odds of that are pretty low. Same as a drilled one.

You need to make sure that if it stops draining, your tank doesn't overflow from the return. Same as a drilled one. Make sure if the drain is off, the return compartment doesn't have too much water volume.

Outside of that, I don't see how people would be flooding.

However, my experience was it was more difficult than a drilled tank to get it quiet. Particularly if you have one with only a single drain. Doable, but difficult.

I have an eshopps. Ping me if you want to buy it. Single pipe.

I believe the flood stories generally don't make sense. They seem to generally be people not familiar with running a sump.

You need to make sure when it drains and the return is off, it won't overflow your sump. Given the overflows all come with an overflow box, the odds of that are pretty low. Same as a drilled one.

You need to make sure that if it stops draining, your tank doesn't overflow from the return. Same as a drilled one. Make sure if the drain is off, the return compartment doesn't have too much water volume.

Outside of that, I don't see how people would be flooding.

However, my experience was it was more difficult than a drilled tank to get it quiet. Particularly if you have one with only a single drain. Doable, but difficult.
Ah okay thank you for your input! I will let you know if I end up going this route and am looking for the HOB overflow

No, I just went off what the website said. How would I do that
Think ur safe with the 75 just bottom tempered. I believe their 55g may be tempered all around. Plenty of vids on YouTube how to determine very simple just need a pair of polarized sunglasses and look through the glass backlit from sun or white screen on laptop. While driving wearing polarized glasses you ever notice the glass on cars has a strange rainbow or grid pattern only when wearing polarized glasses? Thats a sign of tempered glass. Regular glass like in houses will not show those patterns which means not tempered.

Back