got ethical husbandry?

Hot

I must admit, it was rather warm out when I went out to take a swim in the pool.
:p

No need for AC here in Union City yet though. We almost always get just enough cooling breeze
from the bay in the afternoons.

I did set up the fan on the sump though.
Had to clean it. Salt encrusted mess.

Was hot enough to drive tank to 80 so ended up turning on the room AC.

Pretty much describes what it was like today.
1623979705080.png

And .... my fan failed.

I think it is some sort of curse. So many fans have failed. Lights, etc.

Or maybe it is simply a tank for so many years. Salt corrosion is insidious.

Oh well, something more to do tomorrow.

Never mind. It’s too hot to murder. Gonna research geothermal cooling instead.
Check out the tidal gardens hvac setup. They buried cisterns and plumbed a lot of flex tube through the cisterns and use that cold ground water to cool their tanks. They pump tank water through the flex tube in the cistern.

You could do a cistern for rain collection and trickle feeding from your well and then use the low ambient temp to keep your tank cool

My tank has been 79 degrees or 79.1 degrees for the last 7 months. Yesterday, it hit 84.7! My inkbird temp too high alarm starting sounding. I added ice into the sump and two cubes into the tank... Is that a bad idea? It is a 190 DT with a 40 gallon sump. I estimate that I have only about 225 gallons of actual water, in part because the sump is not filled to the top.

My tank has been 79 degrees or 79.1 degrees for the last 7 months. Yesterday, it hit 84.7! My inkbird temp too high alarm starting sounding. I added ice into the sump and two cubes into the tank... Is that a bad idea? It is a 190 DT with a 40 gallon sump. I estimate that I have only about 225 gallons of actual water, in part because the sump is not filled to the top.
Did you make ice with RODI or used ice from the freezer?

If you are going to use to tap water ice cool your tank, just keep it in a sealed bag like a ziplock. You can add a little water to the bag to help heat transfer go faster. There’s no real benefit to adding the ice directly.

The only downside of adding ice directly would that you are adding tap water to your tank, which we usually avoid.

BUT if you can set up a fan to blow on your tank water surface for evaporation and have enough topoff water available, doing that is much more effective than adding ice, and easier.

I used "regular" water ice, not from RODI. In total I added 4 cubes yesterday and about 10 cubes today...
regular ice made from the tap has all the impurities that we filter out to make RODI. Those ice cubes could contain copper and other metals. I suggest running poly filter immediately

Just a heads up, I saw on amazon a fan which runs on 120V, and was thinking of ordering it, but decided against it as I didn't want to risk dropping 120V equipment in the sump. Lots of zip ties for safety! Or the real mounting that @CaseyP did is even better.

Back