High Tide Aquatics

How many fish for a 24 gallon tank

I have a 24 gallon Lifegard AIO tank with a clownfish, royal gramma, and a neon blue goby. And 3 small, 1 large hermit, 2 Turbu, 3 nassarius, and 3 cerith snails. The tank has been running for about 7 months, 3 with fish in it. There also a scattering of corals: GSP, zoas, flavia, pocillopora, and Duncans. The Clown and Gramma are about 2-3 inches. The neon goby is about an inch, but pretty small. I'm thinking of getting 1 more fish, maybe a small goby or pygmy cherub (had one that died in a previous tank). But is that too much for this tank?

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 1.17.36 PM.png

@Srt4eric
I had more Nassarius and Ceriths a little while a go but I think the crabs ate them (might have died and been scavenged). It's my daughter's tank and she loves hermits. In retrospect hermits are a bit problematic. We used to have 3 Halloweens but the they murdered each leaving the one big Battle Royle survivor left.

@Kensington Reefer
Haha I'm thinking about it, just found this group a month ago.

I think you could handle more fish. It just depends on what. Mandarins are pretty peaceful and don’t require a lot of room but the need copepods to eat.

I’ve never had a goby or Pygmy cherub so I can’t speak from experience but I would think most gobies would be fine but the cherub I think might need a bit more room.

Clown maybe aggressive toward any additions since it’s only 24 gal and that tank has been it’s home for 7 months now. Be careful about other gobies since you already have the neon, they may fight. My neon is super territorial, but only when anyone swims near his little hold in the rock. And Pygmy’s might start eating away at your coral and will definitely limit what coral you can put in there long term.

I’d say you can add a couple nano appropriate fish, but I’d move some rock work around when you do so to ease territory aggression.

As for snails, if you don’t have an algae problem you should be fine. I have 1 turbo, 2 conches (which I see you also have), 2 astraea snails and 1 trochus snail and no crabs in my IM14 gallon and they get the job done. Water change every 3 weeks.

And yes, become a supporting member, best $30 you’ll spend in this hobby!!

Back