Neptune Aquatics

How many suction cups for 48"x30"x20" tank?

kinetic

Supporting Member
How many suction cups should I use to move a 48"x30"x20" tank? In the past I just used brute force and luck of a few friends, but I'm thinking of borrowing the club's suction cups if they're available.

I'm guessing I could get away with just using 4 cups? Two on each long side?

I moved my eurobraced 110 48x24x22 with 4 cups and just one buddy but we are both pretty big guys and it was not easy. I'm not sure if we could have done it without the cups.

If using a mat attach it to the bottom of the tank first.

Depends on how far you are moving it, any stairs, are you going to have to flip it to get it through a door way, etc....

Also use furniture dollys.

Visualize your move....

Depends on how far you are moving it, any stairs, are you going to have to flip it to get it through a door way, etc....

Visualize your move....
BruisedPerkyGlobefish-max-1mb.gif

I would do two on each of the smaller sides and have two people carry it

It's going to be a peninsula setup, would it be bad to have two hold suctions on the long sides with two people on the short ends without suctions to keep it balanced, with one guy (the back guy) bailing at the end?

Visualize your move....

For now, I'm setting it up temporarily in the garage until the house remodel is done next year. I'm hoping the delivery people can put the crates as close to the garage as possible, so the lift would be very easy (flat, no stairs, only maybe 10 feet). I think since I'll have it setup peninsula style in the garage too, I'll just have two suctions on the long sides and have four people lift just to be safe.

For moving it into the house next year, I think it'll be a bit more complicated. 70 feet down a flat driveway, up just three steps, and through a 32" wide door (for a 30" wide tank), then about 10 feet to the stand. I don't think flipping will be needed. In this case I think I might need to put the suction cups on the short ends to get it through the door for sure. Probably just have two people on short ends with the cups, and two on the long ends helping without cups.

For now, I'm setting it up temporarily in the garage until the house remodel is done next year. I'm hoping the delivery people can put the crates as close to the garage as possible, so the lift would be very easy (flat, no stairs, only maybe 10 feet). I think since I'll have it setup peninsula style in the garage too, I'll just have two suctions on the long sides and have four people lift just to be safe.

For moving it into the house next year, I think it'll be a bit more complicated. 70 feet down a flat driveway, up just three steps, and through a 32" wide door (for a 30" wide tank), then about 10 feet to the stand. I don't think flipping will be needed. In this case I think I might need to put the suction cups on the short ends to get it through the door for sure. Probably just have two people on short ends with the cups, and two on the long ends helping without cups.
The delivery folks have never flinched when I’ve asked them to scoot it into the garage. I just tip em afterwards and they’re always cool about it

We moved a 72x30x24 with 4 cups. 2 on each side; 1 cup per man. We also had an extra set of hand in the back helping the tank stay straight.

The cups are super strong.

Wrap blanket to prevent scratch when moving with 2" clearance.

Back