Cali Kid Corals

How to get rid of GHA in between zoas?

I have some zoas that are getting irritated by GHA that's managed to grow in between the polyps. I've tried pulling the GHA manually but I can't pull all of it and they keep growing back. I've also tried pulling out the rock the zoas are on and manually scraping the GHA with a razor blade but the polyps are so close together that I fear damaging their "legs" or "roots". Anyone have a suggestion? Is there a dip that I can do that will be safe for the zoa but rid of the GHA? Thanks in advance.

You can safely dip in 3% H2O2 for 2 mins at a time.
Though I wouldn't suggest dipping the entire rock. Try spraying on the rock (outside the tank).

Maybe some other folks can chime in whether the whole rock can be dipped.

It's a big rock so i would prefer spraying, but just to be clear.. are we talking about 3% hyrdrogen peroxide (straight out of the bottle) not mixed with salt water or anything?

I make a dip with peroxide and water. 70/30 dip for 15 minutes. Works every time.
You can fw dip zoos for pest. They close up and stay alive. The fw doesn’t bother them.

No 70 water. 30 peroxide. Sorry I was lazy. But basically you can just add. Zoos don’t care. But dip in a cup. I never measured. It will bubble for a while. Or do like Eric said. You can paint it straight on. Just wear gloves and glasses if your handling them with your hands. DONT DIP THE ROCK. JUST FRAG PLUGS.

Last edited:
No 70 water. 30 peroxide. Sorry I was lazy. But basically you can just add. Zoos don’t care. But dip in a cup. I never measured. It will bubble for a while. Or do like Eric said. You can paint it straight on. Just wear gloves and glasses if your handling them with your hands. DONT DIP THE ROCK. JUST FRAG PLUGS.
To clarify
70 SW : 30 peroxide
Yes?
Or 70 FW : 30 peroxide

Watch out saying 30% peroxide, 70% water. You can get peroxide in many concentrations, with 3% being the common version at Walgreens, etc. but I have bottles of 37%, 60% and maybe others.

you can dilute 3% in half to 1.5% and dip between a 1 and 2 minutes. Doesn’t take much. Zoas might stay closed for a day.

Agree- For peroxide treatment of Zoas:
1/3 of 3% H2O2 (=1%)
2/3 of saltwater
2-5 min
Recover in saltwater

You could do small rocks but it’ll kill a bunch of good stuff in the rocks so best to limit area like mentioned above.

I’ve heard: LPS and other softies can tolerate around half the above concentration. SPS a lot less, maybe 1/10, but at that point you aren’t damaging the algae as much either. Best painted around the base maybe.

I haven’t tried full dip on any but Zoas/Palys personally, but squirting/painting around coral base of any type works well.

Back