High Tide Aquatics

How to keep mandarin goby alive?!?!

Oh I mean water surface area, sorry :)

A 10g nano with a 10g fuge might actually work. If you don't plan on having SPS it should be OK :)

Yeah, no stony corals in this tank. I'm too lazy to deal with alk/calcium in it so I'm just sticking to shrooms, softies, zoas, and macros.

Why is water surface area beneficial for pods? Oxygen exchange?

Thanks for the tips, Gresham.

To be honest I am not quite sure. O2 is probably a factor. I came to this conclusion due to their natural habitat (upper splash zone tide pools) and from our numerous trial here at Reed. We were able to produce much more using a shallow wide pond rather then a tank. A 10g would be fine though, they have a great surface area IME. Problem with 10g glass tanks is the glass is so thin drilling can be tough. My track record isn't the best at drilling 10g, but thankfully they area cheap :lol:

BTW we're using Drupal to build the BAYMAC website and I LOVE it :)

I'm glad drupal's working for you. I've found it to be the least bad web programming environment I've used. :)

I think I may give this mandarin thing a shot. Do you think there's any benefit to increasing hard surface area (bio balls like I was suggesting or chaeto or coarse crushed coral) or is likely to be more of a nutrient trap than anything?

Do mandarins feed on red planaria too? My fuge has them, but the main tank does not and the mandarin stays fleshed out. It did not find enough food before the planaria were introduced on a frag. Without seeing what it is consuming, my guess is the flat worms are in the diet as they have never shown up in the main tank. About six months now or more only in the fuge.

I don't think it'll help Tigger-Pods but other pods it will. I would also feed some crushed up flack food to the fuge so the amphipods have something to eat besides the copepods, as well as giving another source of food to the copepods. Amphipods are big time hunters of copepods as are mysids.

yardartist said:
Do mandarins feed on red planaria too? My fuge has them, but the main tank does not and the mandarin stays fleshed out. It did not find enough food before the planaria were introduced on a frag. Without seeing what it is consuming, my guess is the flat worms are in the diet as they have never shown up in the main tank. About six months now or more only in the fuge.

They are rumored to, but wiping the DT clean is doubtful. IME/IMO usually fuges have higher nutrient loads then the DT do to far less water movement allowing detritus to collect.

I've had boughts of flatworms and unfortunately, my scotter blenny never touched them as far as I could tell. I doubt they eat them, if so I'd bet they'd be recommended when people ask about natural flatworm control. Instead wrasses are always mentioned; 6-line, corliss, etc.

Back