Reef nutrition

How to tell the difference between a Pokerstar Monti and a Rainbow Monti?

I got a nice frag of what is supposedly a Pokerstar Monti (Blue with Green polyps). Its growing nicely. On the edge of the frag the polyps are red and brown and towards the center of the frag the polyps are bright green. It basically looks exactly like a rainbow monti. So, does anyone know what the difference between the two montis is?

Thanks,
Patrick

If your piece came from me it could be because the piece was not under even lighting- some of it was shaded and when it all gets even lighting it'll be all green polyps & blue base.

my poker star did a similar thing, but then again it came from a LFS in a raffle, so it's entirely possible they mislabeled it... or more to the point, they got in a wild piece which looked like a "named" piece, so decided it was that same coral.... but it is a really fast grower which I like :D

Thanks for the 411. My monti has red polyps on the edges which makes it a Pokerstar Monti. I actually like the red and green colors so it's no big deal which one it is. Does a Rainbow Monti's color stay rainbow or do they all eventually turn neon green? I'm guess that the Rainbow Monti might actually just be a Poperstar Monti that's growing.

Thanks again,
Patrick

I think the difference is the polyps on a pokerstar stay green no matter if it's in the center or on new where there is new growth. Rainbows seem to have more of a variant with splattering of red on the new growth edges.

Back