Reef nutrition

i can't keep fishes?

all my corals and clams are doing great that include lps ,acan and sps.i can't can't seem to keep fishes.i even start running UV ,which i never did before.it's there any test u guys could suggest?thanks

lapsan

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2234.msg22381#msg22381 date=1185639595]
Where have you been getting the fish? What fish? How have they died?
[/quote]
If it was fish you bought at that icky SF place.....6th Ave. I wouldn't be too surprised.
But otherwise, it's odd since any water that gets good growth from a mix of corals is usually just fine for fish.

i order most of my fishes from sea dwelling .here is what i figure something is wrong with my tank,first of all,we're order a whole bunches of yellow bellys,i got 3 and a fellow reefers got 3 also,his seem all fine except mine die withing 2 week.either i'm bad luck ,or my tank is something wrong.they're all swim together and eat nori and flake and they' all die when i came home.the eyes look cloudy tho,no sign of ich.i'm trying to find out what else to test for.the same thing with my Ausie fishes .I even quintity for 30 days before i put them my tank.same thing happen after 2 week.the only fish that surevire is from my original tank.i'm pretty buffle as of now.

lapsan

Here is my two cents,
Usually cloudy eyes is a tip off to me that the fish have flukes, usually eye flukes. One of the other symptoms the fish will scrape against a rock or the gravel with not visible signs of a parasite, this is another good indication that the fish have flukes. I see it all the time when I get fish in from the different wholesalers. Usually a 3-5 minute freshwater dip with water that is the same temp and pH as your saltwater will do the trick and they will fall right off the fish. If they have them you will notice what looks like small translucent oval or tear drop shaped things on the bottom of the dip bucket. The first time i saw them i thought they were the fishes scales. There is a product called Prazi-Pro by Hikari that works well to kill them in the quarantine tank(QT). I would also recommend running copper and Prazi-Pro in the QT for the whole quarantine period. This will give you the best chance of eradicating the parasites. Remember nothing is a 100% effective. When feeding newly acquired fish remember that they have just made a long and stressful journey so their last good meal was when they were in the ocean a week to two weeks before you got them. So try some foods that are high in HUFA's like frozen cyclopeez or Pyciene Energentics brand mysis shrimp or soak your food in Selcon. The new fish should recognize this as food and go right for it. Avoid using flakes. Flakes will not give the fish enough energy to really thrive, try a high quality pellet food, New Life Spectum makes a great pellet. it has lots of carbs and will help put weight on the fish. This will also help build the fishes immune system. Well, I guess that was a little more than my two cents. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back