Neptune Aquatics

I need of a new Broadband or DSL Internet

I have an iphone and decided to start uploading some movies off of Pirate Bay and it takes two days.......................Thats right I said two....days. i called AT&T and they have a cap on there DSL and the speed of my uploading is like 50 bps, they can't upgrade me because where I live (Belmont), Hell I can't even get a movie from Net Flicks it's so slow, my regular internet access is pretty fast but movieville is mind numbingly slow. Can you guys recommend an internet provider that costs around $40-$50 a month?

Thanks,
Mark

I think you're limited on the broadband horizon if you're looking for something in that price range at least that's reliable.

Not sure about AT&T Uverse - pricey (supposed to be the shiznit if you have fiber optic installed)

And there's good ole' Comcast

Yeah I don't think Uverse is available where I'm at....................Where am I the boonies? I should just get raod runner and be an Internet Baller :D , or go with comcast and hope for the best :( .

Thanks

Go to the AT&T webpage they will say what you can have, and when in doubt give them a call (if you can stand being on hold to Mumbai...). However if you do live in the boonies far from a central office DSL might not be much of an option. My 3Mbps AT&T goes for $30-35 (I forget if they raised the rates), it's good for what I use.

Problem with cable providers (at least the large ones) is that they very knowingly screw with your p2p transfers... especially if *ahem* you get movies from a less than legal source.

+1 on comcast, im sure you have access to Cable right?
when your in the boonies, options are limited.
I have comcast too

Comcast Suks for p2p
thell "discontinue service" if your a big Dloader (Like Really big)
even though theres no "LIMIT" theres a Limit...
they will not tell you what that is, BUT if you pass the "none the spoken limit" you get a warnig 2 times 3rd time your out forever permaban style.

My friend who runs a video trading service out of his "garage" (Go figure Si-Fi treckies)
he has users who "exchange" personal arcived hard to get stuff.
hes been banned 2 times
once n his name, and once on his wifes madien name..lol

ModernReefKeeper said:
+1 on comcast, im sure you have access to Cable right?
when your in the boonies, options are limited.
I have comcast too

Comcast Suks for p2p
thell "discontinue service" if your a big Dloader (Like Really big)
even though theres no "LIMIT" theres a Limit...
they will not tell you what that is, BUT if you pass the "none the spoken limit" you get a warnig 2 times 3rd time your out forever permaban style.

My friend who runs a video trading service out of his "garage" (Go figure Si-Fi treckies)
he has users who "exchange" personal arcived hard to get stuff.
hes been banned 2 times
once n his name, and once on his wifes madien name..lol

Isn't there a class action lawsuit against Comcast for bandwidth limitations, etc? They booted a small time friend of mine for his Dloads and he wasn't doing many at all. might depend on your areas over all traffic.

Anyone know why Comcast is the only option in the city? For cable modems anyways, I can't believe it is so limited here in the city. There is no FIOS, no U-Verse, just a hand full of DSL providers and Comcast. What gives?

Short answer is Comcast managed to get the "contract" to supply cable to the city. Not terribly many places have more than one cable provider. U-verse isn't available most likely because of the big ass boxes they're putting up (they are building) providing an "eyesore" plus cities want them to be re-classified as "Cable provider" so they have to abide by cable building standards as far as "ugliness" instead of phone company standards which are much more lax. So yeah, DSL is the way to go it seems. AT&T DSL and U-Verse DSL though are pretty much on par as far as speeds/pricing though, with the exception of the highest speed tiers being only available through U-verse.

Back