got ethical husbandry?

IceCap 660 Plug Question

So, looking for some info from other ice cap owners.

I bought an IceCap 660 ballast to power 4 X 39W T5s that came with the tank I just picked up... I didn't realize that there is a special connector needed for the plug (not the wiring harness, but the plug to the outlet). Looks like a square plug with four prongs. I thought I could just use an old computer 3-way plug. Does anyone know if I can find an adaptor at Radio Shack or somewhere? Or do I need to order a special plug?

Thanks!

Phong,

Actually it didn't come with a plug.

- There is the end with the female end that you plug the wiring harness into
- The other end has a box shaped female end with four holes. I assume this is the end that you would wire a plug up to. However, it looks like it is made for a particular male plug, as opposed to just soldering or inserting the black, white, and ground wires of a generic plug.

So, trying to figure out the best way to wire this up or if there is a special type of plug end I'm supposed to buy for the 660. I'll try to take a picture of it.

Thanks!

Cut off said plug and wire it yourself - end of searching for special plug. :D

No joke the IceCap 400 and 660 have no special plug except for the wiring harness that fits into the ballast box. HD, Lowes, and/or even ACE hardware should have a connector for you so can insert the bare wires into the connector (plug)

Thanks. I'll check out the radio shack near work today or the ace if no luck. I won't be near a HD anytime soon. Assuming that most of these connectors are pretty standard, but I wasn't sure.

Ok, I think going to find that I'm an idiot. I searched around some more online...

Is the 4 pin square plug on the 660 actually for a dimmer for VHO bulbs?

And then what I actually should have done is look closer at the 16 pin wiring harness and hook the power cord directly to the black, white, and green which I would have found if I was sleep deprived when looking at it the 1st time around?

At work right now, but thinking that's what I'll find when I get home later...

Update:

I went home, looked and found the power wires on the wiring harness. :)

So, the existing hood/lights were already wired up. So, I tested the wiring by connecting all the wires from the hood to the harness and temporarily taping together the wires and it all lit up.

Then I spent the next hour connecting the wires using butt end connectors with heat shrink plastic. Now everything is nicely spliced together. Now, I just need to purchase some light bulbs.

As always, thanks all for the help.

If you're still working downtown, do you want to split an order so we can get free shipping? Let me know. We also need to rally folks for aother lunch before the year ends.

sure.. I just need to figure out what I need to get. There are so many T5 actinic... I need one 150W DE MH bulb too.. where/when are you planning to order?

Back