High Tide Aquatics

I'm buying a new rig

It gonna be little harder to buy that 4 cl vehicle cause of supply and demand. Have you found one at local delaership? you can always ask the fleet manager at one dealership to trade for it if in stock. It a little easier to negiote for a common vehicle. But you can always ask fleet manager to let know when one coming in. that way he already sold it without having to pay interest on a vehicle sitting on his lot. that why harder to get them to budge on a car thats he had on his lot.

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=4224.msg50843#msg50843 date=1217728120]
It gonna be little harder to buy that 4 cl vehicle cause of supply and demand. Have you found one at local delaership? you can always ask the fleet manager at one dealership to trade for it if in stock. It a little easier to negiote for a common vehicle. But you can always ask fleet manager to let know when one coming in. that way he already sold it without having to pay interest on a vehicle sitting on his lot. that why harder to get them to budge on a car thats he had on his lot.
[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense, I guess a good approach is to locate a couple of vehicles, and ask a fleet guy to go grab the truck I want, especially since I'll know were it's at. The fleet guys put me off a little as they are not as helpful as the regular dealers, it's like "do you want the truck or not", versus the regular dealers that want to shine my shoes, and grab me a Latté.

Jeremy
i have had a GMC Canyon since the came out in 04 it has been a great truck i have the 5 cyl it gets 24-26 mpg in all around driving it is a great truck so far no major issues (knock on wood)
if you like the Nissan my girl friend just bought a Altima Coupe from Napa Nissan in jan it was a fairly painless i just got 3 dealers in the area to give me price online then i told them that would have to beat it or i was leaving the bigger Ahole you are the better price you seem to get i like being an Ahole so it was fun no other time in you life will you be able to treat someone like shit and have them begging you not to leave. we got a car that had only been out for 3mo with all of the options and color we wanted for 24500 sticker was around 28000

[quote author=hooked link=topic=4224.msg50832#msg50832 date=1217719410]
levi , I am going to be buying a new Chevy or GMC in about a month . I do buy fleet and it will be 3/4 ton or 1 ton . I never buy in the bay area due to the pressure and price . If she wants an easy sale let me know .[/quote]

My neice isn't sales, she handles DMV paper work and that sort of thing. If you needed a better price (I'd imagine you get that using fleet) she can usually call in a favor with the sales manager. We got our used Honda Odysee there for just about wholesale.

Jeremy, when I purchased my car in 05 this is what I did. They told me to write what I wanted for the trade-in and the new car. Then they wrote their number on a paper and said "Ok, now we have to negotiate we are about 3000 dollars off. Write down a new number." I was like "ok" and wrote down the same two numbers again. It went back and forth about 6 times, they kept saying, "thats not how negotiations work." I kept saying "ok" and kept writing down the same two numbers. During this whole time a friend who was with me was having a grand old time. He thought I was being quite the a-hole, esp when at a point in time I said something about not caring about the payment b/c I make the car payment in a day of work (I don't really). That was in response to them saying something to the effect of "come on the difference is only like 30 dollars a month." Finally I got up told my friend "lets go, I'm hungry", they caved in and gave me exactly what I asked for.

BTW Jeremy, look at this Nissans are really really cheap right now.

http://www.nissanofelkgrove.com/specials/index.htm?category=Best%20Prices%20Ever

I will tell you one thing I have learned. Never say you have a trade in if you are planning on trading one in. Negotiate the deal first. Then let them know you have a trade in. If you come in saying you have a trade in they are more likely to play the numbers game with you. Also, beware the "how much do you want to pay a month game" it is a tricky financing way to get you to pay more.

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=4224.msg50858#msg50858 date=1217749849]
I will tell you one thing I have learned. Never say you have a trade in if you are planning on trading one in. Negotiate the deal first. Then let them know you have a trade in. If you come in saying you have a trade in they are more likely to play the numbers game with you. Also, beware the "how much do you want to pay a month game" it is a tricky financing way to get you to pay more.
[/quote]I'd love to see the look on the dealers face if I rolled up in my rusty old Toyota with 200k+ mi :D, I want $4000 trade in, no less ;D. One of the nice things about buying outright is that I only need to negotiate the bottom line. Plus, I still need a surf rig, no way am I using a brand new truck to go surfing, that's what screwed my Toyota up in the first place. I love to watch the yuppie "I'm discovering myself through surfing, because up until now I've done nothing but work" people. They always roll in brand new Mercedes SUVs or something similar, getting saltwater and sand all up in a brand new way too expensive truck ::). You know the thing will be all rusty and dirty in a few months.

Ian, I like the whole "I'm hungry" thing, I might have to pull that one out if I feel the pressure and I want to come off as non-carin'.

Yeah, you might need to act like you going to leave a few times. My friend was playing hard ball but was totally asking realistic price (but not what the dealer wanted to go) so he actually left and told them to call him when they changed their mind. He got a call from the sales manager the next day :)

dont let them get hold of your driver license either. They usually ask for when take a test drive. Test drive the vehicle somwhere else prior to negioting your deal.

Levi, that's in the works, I think I'll mumble something about metabolism and food, I'll channel Ian "you like habañeros?"

Dudley, that was the first thing I did, the salesperson didn't like the burnout, or me trying to chirp second (it barely does that), but I did want to make my choice based on how the truck feels since I'll be living in it during the week. My current truck has a really bad bench seat, it will be a treat to sit in something comfortable.

Out of curiosity, what trick do they play with the license? Do they keep it until you buy?

I say you sit down with someone, try to haggle, if they don't give you an inch ask them to go check on something, then throw a palythoa in their coffee!

I took a friend of mine truck shopping a few years ago, he always has me pick out the truck he should get because I am the gear head of the two of us . I took him up to Stewert chevy , both of us fresh of the job site and covered (and I do mean covered ) in saw dust . I showed him the two trucks in the lot that were perfect for him , then the one truck in the show room that we wolud both love, but would only destroy . of course he decided that he would buy the truck in the showroom , SS chevy silverado . The sales man walked up to us , scoffed and told us to step back from the truck . After he told the sales man that he was going to buy it right now the sales man laughed and walked away saying "just dont touch the truck" . after a bunch of b.s. we got the new kid on the lot and brought him over. Buy this time everyone was watching us and glaring at us . when my friend asked the kid how much in fee's it would be he calked it and told him . my friend walked over to the truck , pulled down the tailgate . Immediately the sales manager jumps from his desk running over and screaming at us . Ignoring him my friend grabs an envlope out of his back pocket and proceeds to count out cash making $1000 dollar piles . after $20kon the tailgate of the truck they got real nice . I pulled out the other two envelopes handed it to him , then asked if they were at least going to let him sit in it before they got his cash ?

he bought the truck from them despite the treatment . he did leave the place billowing tire smoke :D. after that ordeal my lesson was this : bayarea car sales quotas are two high . I will never buy a car loacaly again ! I bought my wifes car in Roseville and my trucks I buy up in the mountains . between my brother and I thats 100K every 3 years . I have a call into "my guy" in the mountains and will get back the actual price I will pay for the truck . NO BS . he knows I want a deal and he will give me one . He understands I will buy the next 10 trucks from him , Thats how business should be done !

Thats my rant

LOL - That is some story Mikey!

If Alvin (Skorpinok) ever shows back up on the forum I'm sure he can tell you stories since he used to sell cars for a living.

I tried the "I'm hungry" thing today, it worked on one sales person. Another one rolled his eyes and said, we're opening a McDonalds here because everyone seems to be hungry all the time.

The guy at Serramonte was quite possibly the worst salesperson I've ever worked with, Bree and I kept looking at each other and tried not to laugh. "Julio" had us sit down at a table and asked me questions, with every question he'd get up a leave. Now I'm no dummy, and I hate when people mess with my time, so I went and spied on him. I saw him drink a cup of coffee, come back, ask a question, go out and have a smoke (no I'm not going for a test drive with him he smelled bad), ask another question wander around and talk to other salespeople. Then he comes with the paper trick Ian was talking about, his said $18,800 :D, I told him that was quite possibly the highest price I've seen, he had me write down how much I wanted to pay and I wrote $3.00. Dude was a little miffed at me joking around, so I got miffed and told him the other offers I got, he went :-, I can't help you. ;D

Anyway, I'm circling in for the kill, it won't be long, and I'll post some pics when I get it.

You shoulda ask him if you can have a cup of coffee, smoke and chat with someone before telling him how much you want to pay.. ;D

that's when you mention to him, after he gets up a few times, you realize the longer you wait this out the more that car is going to depreciate simply by sitting on this lot

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=4224.msg50986#msg50986 date=1217895391]
They try to keep you there cause they have your license and you cant leave. the waiting game.
[/quote]Hell no I ain't gonna give my license to anyone, I done did my test drive, I'm playin' ball here :D

Back