Our mission

I'm going to kill all the mushrooms in my tank.

They are now worse than aiptasia. Everything they touch is killed and they grow out of hand.

I'll be kalk-pasting them this weekend I think. I've given enough out at every frag trade that I don't think I'll be affecting their propagation numbers, but my tank is just too crowded to deal with these things.

Maybe I'll rip out as much as I can and toss it into the sump, then kalk the stumps, but they must leave my main tank!

Take the rocks out and remove the shrooms with a bone cutter, it is the best way without releasing toxin. I've done it when my 180 was overrun with them. You can do it, just roll up your sleeve and get to work.

Good luck! Kensingtonreefer has starfish that eat mushrooms, but it sounds like you might need more drastic action. I feel your pain, after trying to rid my tank of mushrooms that sting my LPS corals.

Good luck! I re-did my tank due to a mushroom infestation and a few of them made it into the new set up... Took every rock out and chiseled them off but I guess some were deep in the rock and emerged a week later..Should probably get to kalking them before they spread...

hehe... when I had my "anything goes" softy tank up, for the most part everything was held in check, blue cloves grew everywhere sure, purple mushrooms owned one part, red/green frilly ones another, elephant ear mushrooms held their ground, brown palys on one rock, and blue palys in the spaces in between.

So don't get rid of the mushrooms, get equal weeds :D

+1 on bonecutters.
My LR is soft enough to really get below the attachment point. I have a very few shrooms and most are independent of the reef rock.

Back