Reef nutrition

I'm gonna start using GFO, what should I do

Roc

I got some GFO at the meeting and being the dumbass I am I bought a phosban reactor and a MJ600 and was hoping to set them up today. Is there anything I should know or is it plug and play basicly.

Rinse the crap out of it, then plug and play, MJ600 will be way to much flow IME, I bought one of those minijets for mine and even had to tone that down a bit.

It said it could be run up to 260gph and the mj600 has 160, so I thought that would be a good fit. It has a vavle so I can turn it down.

So Jay your saying to rinse the GFO in water before putting it in the reactor?

I put the flow so I see the GFO moving about. Not much, just enough that it's suspended but not blowing about in the reactor.

Roc said:
drdoolittle said:
start slow.. Dont put too much too fast..

Whats too much, and how do I know when I am adding to much

Anything wrong with your tank now? If not... adding any is too much :)

Seriously, don't use any at all, or be prepared to use it religiously (i.e. change it out on a regular basis).

BTW, you went to the meeting? I saw you asking for someone to pick up frags because you couldn't go :)

I have some PO4 that I have a really really hard time getting rid of, not sure what it is exactly but a couple of ppl have been seggusting running GFO for awhile now, I guess getting the GFO in the raffle was sign from the great reef god. Anytime I start something I plan on doing it long term.

I was at the meeting, and I was asking for someone to pick up a frag from Levi, cuz he couldn't go.

I was the white guy in the raiders jeresy

badbread said:
I rinsed with A LOT of cold tap water, it took quite a while for it to rinse clean, it looks very red and rusty for a long time

How did you rinse it? meaning it looks almost like a powder, so did you put it in the reactor and just hold it under the tap water?

I put it into a tupperware container and just let a slow stream of water into the container, occasionally stirring it with my hands. I forgot what kind I used but it was a mix of small - medium particles.

I use a bucket of regular salt water to rinse my GFO. Put the GFO in the reactor, use the pump to suck the water from the bucket (instead of tank), and drain the outflow into sink. Depending on what kind of GFO you are using, it might take a lot or little water to rinse. It is clean is when the outflow becomes reasonable clear.

I don't wash the GFO for either of my tanks. I just take the output from the fluidized reactor after I change the media and run it into an empty bucket until it is clear. From there I just move the hose back into a small filter sock and leave it like that.

sfsuphysics said:
Seriously, don't use any at all, or be prepared to use it religiously (i.e. change it out on a regular basis).

What happens if you don't change out the GFO religiously? Is going cold turkey not recommended? (A little bit of a hijack Imus, hope it's alright)

sid700 said:
What happens if you don't change out the GFO religiously?
it can very easily get gunked up and then the decaying of that stuff ends up kicking nitrates back into your tank. I've also heard that once it's full it can start working backwards and pushing stuff into the tank, although don't know how much I quite believe that.

chicken said:
I don't wash the GFO for either of my tanks. I just take the output from the fluidized reactor after I change the media and run it into an empty bucket until it is clear. From there I just move the hose back into a small filter sock and leave it like that.

I do the exact same thing.

I err on the side of using too much myself, I have at least 150g in my reactor right now on an over skimmed 40g tank. I generally do the same thing on my service accounts. I've never noticed any issues when I leave it in long term other than a slight increase in PO4.

Back