Our mission

In tank cannister filter thing from reef beef?

Coral reefer

Past President
Anyone know what I’m talking about? Ben and rich talk about an in tank cannister filter like thing they like for temporary use to clean up dirty tank water after maintenance etc…?
I’m to tech unsavy to find it. A link would be sweet, thanks in advance!
@Thales ?

1696351994154.png

Old school.

For the record, Mike was asking because of an issue in my new set-up. I can attest to the fact that (as usual) Rich is spot on -- this thing works! It's among the best piece of equipment I've ever bought for less than $100.00 for a tank.

For the record, Mike was asking because of an issue in my new set-up. I can attest to the fact that (as usual) Rich is spot on -- this thing works! It's among the best piece of equipment I've ever bought for less than $100.00 for a tank.
what issue did it help clear up? Did you run carbon through it? GFO ?

Bruce, what do you typically use the polisher for? Is it worthwhile to get if I run a RedSea Reefmat? I am thinking about getting the polisher since it can be used as a makeshift media reactor for activated carbon. Plus, I like the idea of super polished water after a tank cleaning.

what issue did it help clear up? Did you run carbon through it? GFO ?

What I needed it for won't be of use to most other folks other than I can attest to tat fact of its efficiency.

My tank is still cycling and about halfway in I finally decided I wanted to go with sand vs. bare bottom. I just can't live without a few species of wrasses that require sand. I ordered some original grade Caribsea (which is what I always use) and instead, they sent me the Oolite which is much finer. Because the bags are identical except for about a half-dollar size badge I didn't realize it until I'd already poured it. Six days later the tank was still completely opaque with suspended particles from the fine sand.

I ordered the polisher and it cleared up the issue in a few hours. I then stirred the sand daily and it quickly pulled the smallest of the particles out. Prior to the polisher the tank hadn't settled in six days. After the polisher, it settles in hours.

It's perfect (as slingfox) mentioned as a polisher after a big tank cleaning and a very quick reactor for carbon.

What I recall Rich @Thales and Ben talking about using it for is just during maintenance. “Storming the tank” when you kick up a bunch of detritus from rock crevices and sand by blowing them. Let this run using the micron pleated filter to clear out suspended crap from the water. Then take it out, clean the filter, store for next time.

I got one from PetCo using the 20% off discount if you order online and pickup in store, but haven’t gotten around to using it yet.

What I recall Rich @Thales and Ben talking about using it for is just during maintenance. “Storming the tank” when you kick up a bunch of detritus from rock crevices and sand by blowing them. Let this run using the micron pleated filter to clear out suspended crap from the water. Then take it out, clean the filter, store for next time.

I got one from PetCo using the 20% off discount if you order online and pickup in store, but haven’t gotten around to using it yet.

I've used magnums for that since the early 90's.... but the external version. Liking the idea of the internal version.

Thanks for the heads up on buying from Petco. Great idea!

If you order from PetSmart and do auto ship you can get 35% off. I did my auto ship interval as every 9 months and will cancel later.

Back