High Tide Aquatics

Innovative Marine 112 INT build

A small update on the progress,

Quanta Reef lights & 50lbs of new Marco rock arrived last week and @Holly94583 was super nice giving me 20lbs of used rock. Thank you! Tnutz 80/20 order arrives today, and an order of plumbing supplies along with a Hydros WaveEngine V2 controller for the IceCap Gyres should be here soon. 80lbs of live sand arrived today too. Vacation is over and it's time to get fragging and dipping to empty the 69g into the 75g. A ton of work ahead including setting up a borrowed frag tank for the AEFW quarantine process. Thank you @jhuynh John!

In the meantime here's a few pics from Davis lake

View attachment 38866View attachment 38867View attachment 38868
I used to teach in Portola. I miss fishing up there!! So many lakes and rivers to explore!!

Life has been added!

After the leveling issues were resolved, I started the cycle again with fresh SW and a mid-cycle generous donation of chaeto, sand, and a bio block exchange from @RandyC. Thank you sir! However the cycle stalled which was my own fault. I did not anticipate the small amount of junk on the old rock having as much effect as it did. Lesson learned.

The initial test scapes offer a ton of perches for coral for SPS. Nothing exceeding 11-12 inches in height. A few lessons learned about coral growth patterns in the last 2 years :cool:

65A86F8F-0087-4573-9F6D-AB00D88E3277.jpg
248C2DE9-8CB9-4D08-8612-804E597F84D3.jpg

With issues resolved and and basic parameters good I added 2 shrooms, and a chunk of red monti as test coral. 48 hrs later and they are looking good. Took a trip to AC this morning for a few sundries and another bottle of Tigger pods for the fuge.

After discussing the scape today with @Meshmez, I agreed with him that it needed more rock. I put together some scrap PVC and started building a new tall structure around that framework. Much thin CA glue, sand, baking soda, and mess later, I had a very cool new piece added that will give a bunch of extra hiding spots and cover for the fishies. Not adding an eel haha! The PVC is to keep the rock off the tank walls and stabilize the structure. A cool tunnel for a lucky fish is a nice side benefit.

FB59EA06-A1B4-4953-B2BD-7E551172D392.jpg
795A9D3B-5A90-4563-9B8C-BBCD90C51934.jpg

A quick rearrangement of all the rock after adding the wall and I'm much happier with the look. I'll make some further tweaks as I ponder the current look.

D5FF6FC3-4B75-43D1-8688-3E7A04723EDD.jpg
4D3EFC3F-3D09-4DBE-A007-446B9BCEB4C2.jpg
31ED224D-65CA-4036-9E1A-DDB8D9E1F820.jpg

After a bit of Sunday afternoon socializing (pizza and beer) I caught the clown pair and 2 Cardinals from the 75g and added them to the 112g. Catching the rest of the fish will take a bit more work. I think I'm almost better off fragging and dipping 80% of the coral and removing rockwork from the 75g before trying to catch more fish.

Please feel free to throw out suggestions or constructive criticism regarding rock placement. I love hearing ideas that can improve things.I also need to come up with a name for this tank other than "The 112g"

The Blue Lagoon maybe? Ala the movie with Brooke Shields... Ya I'm getting up there in years.

Have you considered drilling frag plug holes? Makes it way easier to move around frags to find their sweet spot rather than breaking them off the re-gluing. I bored a bunch of 1/2" holes into my rockwork but the next time, I'll probably use Coral Euphoria's method (starts at 3:00)

Have you considered drilling frag plug holes? Makes it way easier to move around frags to find their sweet spot rather than breaking them off the re-gluing. I bored a bunch of 1/2" holes into my rockwork but the next time, I'll probably use Coral Euphoria's method (starts at 3:00)

This is a great video showcasing his experiences in reefing. I have thought about this very idea before with acrylic rod. Marco rock has a tendency to crack and break while being drilled so I'm not sure this would work for me if I tried it. Going to try and grab one of those diamond drill bits and give it a shot. Thank you!

Abe from Coral Euphoria is an amazing resource. I hope to learn as much as he has forgotten.

Try coring bits instead of drill bits. These will grind out a hole instead of drill bits which can chip and crack the rocks. Just go slow and clear out the dust often, especially around the diamond edge. I've made the mistake of going fast and forcing it through which generated so much heat it melted the dust and gummed up the bit.

It's been a busy week!

I had a Hanna Nitrite test giving me readings of 18+ ppm for a few days that prompted a pair of 40g water changes and worry so I finally went to the local SJReef Co to verify my readings. Faulty test kit. Nitrites were zero. Sometimes......................

Fish were moved from the 75g to the 112g late last weekend and I started moving corals over yesterday. Dipping, fragging, remounting etc. I'm worried about a couple like the OG Mummy eye. It cracked and split in ways I didn't want it too when I was trying to get a goby out of a hole in it's rock. It had started to die off a bit over the last week in the 75g so fingers are crossed over this guy. Overall very pleased with how the transfer is going.

Current stocklist is:
1 x One Spot Foxface almost full grown
1 x Orange fin White tail Bristeletooth tang
1 x Scopas Tang - juvenile
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x Yellow tail black Blenny
5 x Lyretail Anthias
3 x Yellow tail blue Damsel
6 x Pajama Cardinals
Pair of Darwin clowns
1 x Eblii Angelfish
1 x Melanurus Wrasse
3 x Peppermint shrimp
2 x Cleaner shrimp
5 or so Bumble Bee snails
Bunch of Trochus

After talking with @RandyC, I'm already running chaeto in the fuge to hopefully minimize the ugly phase. It's been seeded biologically from Microbacter 7, media from multiple tanks, and Aquabinomics live sand in an attempt to improve diversity from the get go. A shipment of 5 pod species and phyto from Algaebarn will arrive this week in addition to the pods seeded from 2 tigger bottles and from my own 75g chaeto and Randy's. A few mini bristle worms have been added unintentionally along with intentionally adding mini bristle stars sourced from @JVU quite awhile ago. Not too upset the bristle worms got in as they are great at cleaning detritus.

I'm sure I've missed relating a few things but I'm happy. At lights on today, all the coral looks good. I'll be feeding a mix of Phyto Feast, Reef Roids, and Benepets daily.

Over the next few days,
I'll get the rest of the coral transferred. It's mostly zoa's left at this point.
Move the other 2 Quanta Bars from the 75g to the 112g
Get the GHL Profilux & KH Director hooked up
Continue regular testing for baseline numbers
Move the 4 head doser over for ESV Bionic 2 part.

EDIT: I'd like to get the PAR meter soon after I get the 4th & 5th lights on it to do some testing. Lights will be about 10.5" high off the water (for now) so I expect my PAR at the sandbed will be 100ish and 250-350 where the SPS are mounted.

EFA70D99-95E2-44A0-B7A4-5C8E664916B5.jpg

I like the scape, lots of room to place your existing and future corals!

How long have you had the Heliofungia and do you feed it a bunch? I always remember them being notoriously hard to keep but maybe things have changed like with elegance corals lately!

I like the scape, lots of room to place your existing and future corals!

How long have you had the Heliofungia and do you feed it a bunch? I always remember them being notoriously hard to keep but maybe things have changed like with elegance corals lately!
Thank you!

This guy yes? Got him at California Reef a couple months before he closed the store. So maybe 6-9 months? It's been very hardy from my experience. Always looking pretty happy considering I don't really give it any special treatment. Occasional target feedings of frozen mysis or PE Mysis pellets. I do use Isol8 trace elements regularly and the 75g was kind of a high nutrient tank. Low to medium flow with 100-125 PAR.

C6A642D0-9455-4336-AEF9-80A6F949D2D7.jpg
DB0318AB-854F-4B1E-9DE5-AB8950175AD5.jpg

Quick update tonight. Corals are doing well. I'm seeing growth in SPS and mostly happy LPS and softies. I lost a Metallic Green Hammer and a couple SPS frags. The Monti Setosa from @H2OPlayar died very very quickly. Unless it's going to make a recovery from what looks like the grave it is sadly, gone. Everything else brought home from Michael's is doing well minus one other SPS that was in poor health already. Holding out hope for it still.

I do have a sick One Spot Foxface. Posted over on Humblefish and talked to @Blaise006 about it. Consensus seems to be bacterial infection due to a wound most likely suffered during or shortly after he was moved to the 112. He's eating like a pig and acting, breathing, and swimming normally if still a bit skittish. No other fish are displaying any symptoms currently. Sometimes I wonder what they all think of my intesne staring and examination...

I'm feeding garlic extract in food and dosing in the water column along with feeding garlic nori 2 x day , frozen mysis/brine or PE Mysis 1mm pellets 3-4 x day . Today he appears slightly better with less inflammation. Crossing my fingers as he's a cool dude.

Test results are good as I've started seeing consumption of macros. Started dosing 2 part and saturated Kalk. Also added about 1/2 cup of HiCap GFO to knock the phosphates down a touch since I'm feeding heavily.

Wouldn't you know it... chaeto contributions from 3 lovely reefers have more than doubled and is ready to harvest. It's growing like gangbusters!

Hooked the GHL Profilux back up and my PH probe is giving very erratic numbers. (calibrated twice after cleaning) Might have to replace it at the 1 yr mark of use. It's not matching Salifert either.
KH Director needs to be tweaked a bit but the results are pretty steady if off by about 1 degree KH.

Overall very pleased with the results I'm seeing but sad over foxy dude. I hope he makes it!

112 Test Results.JPG

IMG_0359.jpg

He's healed up remarkably fast. In other tank news, 3 weeks in I have coraline algae spots in the refugium and the heavy brown slime algae covering the rockwork for the last 10 days or so is starting to recede, Coral are all settling in pretty well and I'm loving the PE on the SPS. Not using much 2 part yet but am up to 10ml a day dosing for Alk and 8ml for Calcium.

IMG_0378.jpg

Back