High Tide Aquatics

Introduction!

Hey all - just wanted to briefly introduce myself to this great group.

I had a number of fish tanks (freshwater but always dreamed of a reef tank) as a teen but, as is the case with many, gave them up with college/career/family. A couple of years ago with my kids getting a bit older and having a little more time, I decided to scratch that itch that had festered as a teen and got my first reef tank. In this case it was the Red Sea Max Nano and I had fun with it but ultimately felt a bit limited by the size and lack of a sump. So, I upgraded to a 425XL which has been running for about a year and a half as a mixed reef tank and has been a challenge and a blast. Unfortunately (!) with too much time on my hands with this covid lockdown the upgrade bug has hit again and I am currently in the planning stage for a large custom peninsula (in the approx range of 84"x42"x28").

This time also has given me the opportunity to hopefully connect to the fantastic reefing community (I've just done my own thing in my own bubble up to this point)! I live out in Pleasant Hill, currently married with 3 kids and teach science in high school. I hope to communicate and meet with people from this neat community in the near future. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey all - just wanted to briefly introduce myself to this great group.

I had a number of fish tanks (freshwater but always dreamed of a reef tank) as a teen but, as is the case with many, gave them up with college/career/family. A couple of years ago with my kids getting a bit older and having a little more time, I decided to scratch that itch that had festered as a teen and got my first reef tank. In this case it was the Red Sea Max Nano and I had fun with it but ultimately felt a bit limited by the size and lack of a sump. So, I upgraded to a 425XL which has been running for about a year and a half as a mixed reef tank and has been a challenge and a blast. Unfortunately (!) with too much time on my hands with this covid lockdown the upgrade bug has hit again and I am currently in the planning stage for a large custom peninsula (in the approx range of 84'x42"x28").

This time also has given me the opportunity to hopefully connect to the fantastic reefing community (I've just done my own thing in my own bubble up to this point)! I live out in Pleasant Hill, currently married with 3 kids and teach science in high school. I hope to communicate and meet with people from this neat community in the near future. Cheers!
Welcome!

You’ve found the right place. I live in Walnut Creek, so practically a neighbor. We also have another educator in Pleasant Hill @MolaMola.

If you want you can start a tank journal in that sub forum.

We also have a lot of additional perks available to Supporting Members like borrowing equipment, buying/selling, monthly events (as things open back up), and frag swaps.

Welcome! I’m your neighbor from Pleasant Hill - glad to see new faces around. Ping me if you need a hand - some things in such a huge tank might need help.

Regards,
Eugene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - looks like a few at least in the east bay! I might be reaching out for advice and/or help at some point for sure. The footprint of the planned tank is large but I do believe I had it listed at 84' instead of 84"...definitely not that ambitious (or rich) haha.

Back